PDA

View Full Version : what are the smallest tires i can use on a 350x with stock 9'' rims?

jeffs86350x
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
a good friend of mine gave me his 86' 350x, as he rides no more.25 years ago i rode the tri-z and he rode the 350x.well,i no longer have the yamaha,but i now have the honda.i would like the widest and a super low profile tire,maybe geared more towards a non-knobby tire or minimal knobs.i want to be able to slide the rear axle/tires wih ease.i live in northern wisconsin and im moving to oregon soon.thanks for some tire advice.i have quite a few sleds, and a klr 650,and ive been able to use lots of all your riding experiences to help make good buying decisions.

mike1979
05-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Welcome Jeff
First things first, we are gonna need to see some pics of the trike.
I dont know much about the tires but you could look aroud BikeBandit.com or some other place.

dcreel
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I think most of the smaller flat track tires are for 8" wheels. From what you are saying I would look for a set of Ohtsu H track tires. We have a set on our 200X and it definitely helps it slide. They don't make them anymore but occasionally you can find them on craigslist or ebay. I got ours off of craigslist for $50 on Mitchell wheels. Here is a pic.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/200X/atcpics007.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/200X/atcpics009.jpg

You can also check at an Orschelin's or home center that sells lawn mower tires. Our local Orschelin's has a bunch of turf tires in 18X9.5X8

SWIGIN
05-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I know nothing about 9'' tires but they used to make 18'' tires, they still might.

As long as it's not narrower then your wheel you can put whatever yopu want on it as far as size.

jeffs86350x
05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome in,ive not ridden 3- wheelers in about 18 years and i will not own a 4 wheeler!!! Once you been on 3,4 just wont do! As i reach 50 years old, my riding habits change ,and by mounting a smaller flat track tire with an extended axle or spacers im sure it will help with a lower center of gravity,inside wheel lift and just being safer to ride.our trails here are outstanding,most are 12-20 foot wide and there are many high speed sweepers[basically 50-60 m.p.h.long streches of flat trails].some of are trails are run on snowmobile trails, and up here you can ride hundreds of miles as all trails connect with other towns.we are always working to add new trails,getting landowners permission to cross there land,working with your community to get an established system of trails should be all of our work.ill post a picture of my 350x as im sure you all can help me with my project as i will need you advice.i have ridden snowmobiles for many miles now and i can say,that we can learn alot from this group on how they have put in a system of trails that covers over 25,000 miles of trails here in wisconsin,and we can ride from my driveway to minnesota,michigan,canada,north dakota with full color maps,gps,lodging,food,gasoline any type of repair or service.now imagine,having a trail system like that to ride!! How about logging on 200 miles a day for a week or so always on a different trail?it can and will happen with atv clubs! Join one now

jeffs86350x
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the invite.ill shoot a few pics and get them on.i see you live in michigan,u per or troll? How are the conditions for riding? Ive been to a few dune parks along the lake,awesome but i tire quickly of same sand. Do you have a trail system? I would love to see a trail system like we have in both of our states like snowmobiler has. Hell,we have more miles of trails than paved roads and all trails are marked and signed.im sure you know this,as most of us ride sleds in winter. Late