PDA

View Full Version : how much extra maintainence on a 2 stroke?

twitch101
05-19-2010, 12:22 AM
ive always been more on the lazy side of things but i hear that a 250r is the way to go for speed. my only issue is the extra maintenance of mixing gas, seasonal rebuilds? im also none to familiar with the 2 stroke cycle so i figure troubleshooting might be more difficult. can anyone vouch for helping out a 4 stroke guy?

TheRealFatShady
05-19-2010, 12:52 AM
They consume a lot more fuel, and they go through top ends relatively quick

_perroenegro_
05-19-2010, 01:43 AM
what i heard is that in some two stroke motors, they don't have a lubrication system or no oil pump like in four stroke, and internal parts of the motor wear out more easily , and there is also more black smoke coming out.

Red Rider
05-19-2010, 01:43 AM
The first couple of times mixing fuel will seem like a long drawn out process, but it really isn't. Just get yourself a "ratio-rite" cup, decide what fuel/oil ratio you want to use, and it's a no-brainer. If you're comparing a 250R to a 350X, the maintenance required may need to be a little more frequent on the 2-stroke, compared to the 4-stroke, but it's a whole lot easier, even if it's water-cooled. Now if you're comparing a 250R to a 450R, the 250R is by far less maintenance & cost.

puggerton03
05-19-2010, 08:19 AM
2-stroke is alot easier to maintain. You dont have to worry about adjusting valves, timing chains, and all that junk. They sound alot better and have more power too.

atctim
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
and they go through top ends relatively quick

I have never touched the top end on my 86 250R - neither did the previous owner - Kintore. This motor has been running super strong and has had the snot beat out of it (on the track and trails) for the past 4 or 5 years! I mix the gas at 32:1 and keep cleaning my air filter. I find the above quote from FatShady to be misleading and a very un-informed opinion.

TheRealFatShady
05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I have never touched the top end on my 86 250R - neither did the previous owner - Kintore. This motor has been running super strong and has had the snot beat out of it (on the track and trails) for the past 4 or 5 years! I mix the gas at 32:1 and keep cleaning my air filter. I find the above quote from FatShady to be misleading and a very un-informed opinion.

I will respect your opinion, but from what I have seen, 2 strokes go through top ends - as well as fuel - much quicker than a four stroke. I've heard the other engine components wear out due to a non-dedicated lubrication system, however I have not seen any that were simply 'too worn out' from proper use.

litebulblsc
05-19-2010, 08:43 AM
I will respect your opinion, but from what I have seen, 2 strokes go through top ends - as well as fuel - much quicker than a four stroke. I've heard the other engine components wear out due to a non-dedicated lubrication system, however I have not seen any that were simply 'too worn out' from proper use.

They have a dedicated lubrication system, it is just not the way you are used to. They only wear out quick if you don't get them correctly. A properly jetted engine will last a quite a few years. Yes they do use more gas.

what i heard is that in some two stroke motors, they don't have a lubrication system or no oil pump like in four stroke, and internal parts of the motor wear out more easily , and there is also more black smoke coming out.

They do not need an oil pump. The do not have to pump oil up into the head to lubricate stuff. They have to only lubricate a few things, both rod bearings and the cylinder walls. The oiling is accomplished when the oil air and fuel go into the crankcase, the oil separates from the gas and lubes the stuff out.

There is no black smoke, but there is more smoke, because you are burning oil out of the crankcase, but this means that the crankcase keeps getting fresh oil.

AutoXer
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
i had a cr 125 that i ran alot when i was a kid and never touched it besides keeping the air filter clean ....... its like any thing mechanical take care of it and it will take care of you ... 2 strokes are simple and have fewer parts .. they don't have a oil pump because they don't have a need for oil in the top of the motor (why you put oil in the gas) I ran 50:1 synthetic. you can rebuild a 2 stroke alot cheaper and in less time than a four stroke. Don't be scared by a 2 stroke they are alot of fun

200XMichigan
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I used to think that 2 strokes went through top ends a lot. But really the reason you see them for sale needing top ends. Really its easy for stupid people to fry the top end on a 2 stroke, not enough oil in the gas and its not in good shape. Its little harder to do on a 4 stroke, adding gas is idiot proof, but most people don't change their oil enough on 4 strokes. Either 2 strokes or 4 strokes maintained properly will last a long time.

I would buy an R in a heart beat if you have the money for one. 2 strokes (other than gas and oil) are cheaper to maintain. When I do the top end on my 200X it will cost a lot more than if I had an R and all that was up there was a flat head and a spark plug. And what's a liquid R, around 40 hp, can't argue with that.

oldskool83
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Ive owned both.

in all my 2 stroke MX bikes i had never needed a top end (well i lie i blew up a new 80 in a month) a smaller bore 2 stroke can blow top ends faster because if you like to go, your gonna be up in rpms all the time. now if you just do what the freaking manual tell you do and dont buy some junker off your the looser white trash kid down the street who never cleans his bike and rides it even harder when somthing broke thenyes your gonna have more probs.

i road 2 strokes from 94-01 and only blew on up once! yes they will use fuel. your will go thru a few more plugs but if your bike is dialed in your gonna burn clean plugs will last. i use to go thru maybe 4 plugs a year on my 2 strokes max. (this was every weekend sat and sunday ripping up trails)

if your compaired this to say a old school 4 stroke well then yeah its more then just put gas in and go. but how many badly running old 4 stroke do we know about out there that give people more probs then they are worth.

if your compair a 2 stroke to a new high performance 450r then yeah your gonna be in that motor adjusting stuff and changing oil more.

if your that damn lazy stay off the bike. these are machines ya know, if ya wanna ride and no work on any thing buy a huffy

i honestly prefere the old aircooled 4 strokes now i dunno 10 years of riding sportbikes spoiled me not having to mix fuel so i went with 4 strokes now.

whyzee
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
wow, alot of misinformation here...holy cow!!!
2 strokes are ALOT cheaper to run and maintain. Honda recommends the same interval as changing the top end on a two stroke as they do a four stroke!
I have owned at least a dozen 250R's still on the original piston and rings 25 yrs later, and still blowing a 190 compression
not to be mean or a jerk, but if you are asking a question like this you really should not even be considering buying an R. It will hurt you!
stick to a 200X to start.
I

twitch101
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
ive picked up on a 350x. like i said i only asked because ive never owned a 2 stroke.

whyzee
05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
good man , you will be so happy with that choice!! don't ever sell it, you will only regret it

fabiodriven
05-19-2010, 01:33 PM
The whole two strokes needing more maintenance is absolute bullocks. I've had my 85 Tecate for probably 6 years now and it's got the same top end in it that it came with. If you maintain it and know how to jet (like fattening it up in the winter), a two stroke will last just as long as any thumper. I am by no means easy on my stuff either.

TheRealFatShady
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Alright guys, perhaps I was misled. Just seems like I find most 2 strokes that need top ends. guess it's part of being cheap, lol.

Mosh
05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
This thread is funny.

I just did a top end on my wifes 85 R, and pulled the OEM piston out of it.
I would not have touched it, but I had to remove the jug to drill out some bolts for the exhaust flange.
It still ran great. Figured while I was there, gonna bore it and run it another 20 years.
All I run is 2 strokes..
Never launched one yet. But I am a freak for maintenance and tuning.