PDA

View Full Version : Pics from the new guy.......

Pryme
05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
So I picked up this 82 Big Red a few days ago, it sure is in good condition! all original, even the tires.

So the other day I changed the oil, put in mobile 1 racing T four stroke synthetic oil. only the best for the big red lol. about a quart and a half. then I put in a new plug, the old one looked decent, and holy crap was it in there! someone really gooned out when putting it in. I had to warm the engine up before it would barely break loose! so new NGK plug. also put in a new honda foamair filter, the one that was in there was for sure the original but luckily no dirt at all behind the filter! also adjusted the brakes, chain, cam chain and auto clutch. oh, and made sure the tires were inflated to a staggering 2.2 psi!! of course I used anti seize on the plug and oil drain plug. so this baby is ready to rock!

This thing E-starts so, so fast and idles like a dream, sooo quiet. like its new haha.

So I was looking at tires for this thing, and came across the interco swamp lites, because they said they are good for hardpack, mud and snow, all things MN gets. would this be a good tire? some people said dont get them unless you have 500cc??? what do you guys recommend for tires?

on to the pics............

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/004.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/003.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/002.jpg

Here is the plug that was almost stuck in there! how does it look as far as running condition?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/005.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/008.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f143/lexsee/007.jpg

atcrider1
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
thats a very nice big red, and welcome to the boards

UlsterATCFan
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
You have bought one of the nicest 82 big reds in existance, perhaps without knowing so. The bike you are in posession of has original tires - these are no longer manufactued. Exactly why do you want to change these tires?

Pryme
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
wow is it really that nice/rare? maybe thats more reason to get new tires? keep these ones alive? plus, they are kinda worn on the edges. I was thinking something moe aggressive for going thru hairly trails and stuff, fun stuff!

The guy estimated less then 500 total miles on this trike, id say thats true.

jeffatc250r
05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Although the utes arent my thing, I can still respect a good example of one when I see it. Def a nice red. I say run the rubber you got on it, you will be surprised how much more traction you get with a trike compared to a quad. That thing will chug along through most places without batting an eye. RUN IT

Chillian
05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Just to let you know.. You do not want to use synthetic oil in these machines. They need oil that is designed for wet clutches. You should check that oil and make sure it says for wet clutches(i bet it isn't). Personally i use vavoline atv oil. The clutches are a cork base and need the correct oil.

Oh yeah looks very nice also..Gratz..

Pryme
05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
this oil says right on the front that it is for wet clutches. it is fuor stroke motorcycle oil from mobile one, racing T its called.

the tires are dunlop and say made in japan on them, now I kinda want to kep them around, not wear um down more. haha

here is the oil im using. top of the line actually. I figured it was cheap insurance.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

Chillian
05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
this oil says right on the front that it is for wet clutches. it is fuor stroke motorcycle oil from mobile one, racing T its called.

the tires are dunlop and say made in japan on them, now I kinda want to kep them around, not wear um down more. haha

Ok. I wasn't aware of that oil. Well i learned something. Just making sure i have seen many times someone using the wrong oil and wonder why they are loosing power and need new clutches so fast..

dirtbiken
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Well man, its true that swamp lites are a very good tire but are very hard on rear end parts. I have bear claws on the back of my 225 dr and it broke a hub and I had to put a new one on it. I would suggest if you like going through rough and gnarly trails using razr tires, they are more less made for racing but they will go through the mud better and not so hard on parts. But it wouldnt have to be a 500cc bike to put swamp lites on it. You can do It you probably wouldnt be as hard on it as I am so it would probably be fine for you.

Pryme
05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
chillian, thanks for the heads up though, yeah, before I picked the oil I did some research!

dirtbikeken, I will have to check into those tires. I was looking at some other styles on dennis kirt as well.

How do you guys like that cobra exhaust? I seen it today online, its like 130 some dollars, is it worth it?

also, hows my plug look?

dirtbiken
05-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I know a few people that have cobera exhaust on there bikes and they are not real happy with it. They said it dont sound as good as they expected it to, and it didnt give it any more hp. that plug doesnt look to bad, I would keep it for a spare but it was definetly the right move to put a new one in it. but you cannot always tell by the looks of a plug to see if its good or not.

Chillian
05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I put a cobra on mine, only cause it was the only one availble and i needed a pipe, The head pipe will peel all the paint in the first few seconds, so be ready to sand and use some high temp paint, it is much louder and i noticed no performance gains from it, however when i put the k&n in con=mbo with that i did notice more, and had to rejet. The sound overall isn't the best but it's ok. If you need a pipe then it will do the job, if your looking to upgrade to it for performance leave it stock.

dirtbiken
05-16-2010, 09:01 PM
If you want a pipe, I would get a better pipe then a cobra but at least you would have something that makes it sound nice, and gives it more performance.

Pryme
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Guess I will keep her stock, I kinda like how quiet it is actually, its so quiet at idle.

I am looking for a helmet, ive always had mx style helmets due to racing mx, but for this thing, I may go with a open face design with the sheild that comes down.

also, if you notice in the pics, the previous owner put on rear view mirrors and a big tall windshield, you can see the brackets for it in the pic. I took it off for now.

Thorpe
05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I have ITP mudlites on my BR (and am a MN boy) Love them... Do well on the trails and good in the snow... I would put them on again...

Pryme
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I have ITP mudlites on my BR (and am a MN boy) Love them... Do well on the trails and good in the snow... I would put them on again...

Hi fellow MN'tan I looked up those mud lites, they look good. what did you get them for? about 84 a tire? I don't want to overpay.

do you find them far better then the stock tires? id like something good on dirt mud and snow. and how do they handle and wear?

BIGREDGUY
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
^^^ What Thorpe said, you can't go wrong with Mud Lites. If you want some more options here is Dennis Kirk's site with all the 25X12-9 tires:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp;jsessionid=R3H0HASOKKWQVLA0WTISM4VMDK 0OWIV0?store=Main&category=10802&av=126:9911,95:5719,28:2007
(BTW I'm from MN too and have an 82' BR as well)

BIGREDGUY
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Oh yea, was this by chance the BR off Minneapolis craigslist that the seller said "should be in a Honda museum"???

Pryme
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh yea, was this by chance the BR off Minneapolis craigslist that the seller said "should be in a Honda museum"???

YES!!! that/this is the one. small world. guess he was not lying. I know nothing about 3 wheelers, but it looked good and started/ran awesome.

I may order up mud lites and keep my original tires in a museum(garage shelf) to preserve um. how much do they weigh compared to stockers?

aldochina
05-16-2010, 10:43 PM
i wouldnt touch or modify anything on that machine. That is a superb example of the 82 bigred, wich is pretty rare compared to the other yr big reds. Great score, and see to it it stays sweet for another 28 yrs!!

harryredtrike
05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
fine looking machine,great pick up

Thorpe
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I paid about 85-90 bucks a hoop for the mudlites... Got them from Dennis Kirk too! A bit of a drive from here, but not too bad... Just up I-35 from the cities...

Pryme
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
aldochina, I do not plan to mod this trike, but tires I dont think you can help. why are the 82s more rare? less built?

BIGREDGUY
05-17-2010, 12:08 AM
It was the first actual "Utility" ATV manufactured and probably just less models made the first year so Honda could figure out the market. I was keeping my eye on that one on craigs because he had dropped the price a few times. Great to see a 3WW member grab it. Take good care of it. I know I love mine!

MonroeMike
05-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Nice looking machine you picked up.

Pryme
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
are those downloads for the owners manuals? mine actually came with the little blue orig. one from 82!

Grizzlypeg
05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Nice looking machine. The spark plug looks good and doesn't indicate any obvious problems. I'm running mud lites on my 200x and they seem like a decent tire.

BIGREDGUY
05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
how much do they weigh compared to stockers?

Here is the specs page for the Mud Lites: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/atvtireproduct.jsp;jsessionid=0CPP2B5PQJH5TLA0WTIS M4VMDK0OWIV0?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p542023&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Pryme
05-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I have not posted in four years. Thought I'd bump this to say I still have this machine and it fires right up every time still. 32 years old!!! But am having brake issues I posted about that in the main trike forum.

Liquid-Darkness
05-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Man thats one sweet trike. As long as the tires hold air long enuf to put some miles on it, theres still some miles on those treads. New thick tires would be cool 2.

Pryme
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Yeah the tires are fine. Four years ago I was thinkin of replacing them but some people on here in this post actually said they are the original tires so I'd never get rid of them. Someday replace but I'll keep the originals