PDA

View Full Version : 84 Big Red intermittant no start

Jayfarmlaw
05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
My ole faithful 84 big red has developed an intermittant no start problem. Always turns over but sometimes no fire. I thought it could be in the key switch or kill switch...but I cant duplicate the problem. Sometimes wiggle the key in the switch, sometimes turn the wheel to the left or right, sometimes headlight switch, lately none of the above. Turns over fine, just no fire. You can walk away and come back a little later and it starts right up. Definately no fire.

I have taken the kill switch completely out. no change in the way it acts. Is there a common short or do CDI's go out like this? I hate to write the ole girl off. ITs been the best $500 Ive ever spent. Never missed a lick in 7 years and took everything Ive thrown at it.

Is there a way to jump from the battery to the CDI and take all else out of the equation?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Jayfarmlaw
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Tinkered with it a bit today. Does not seem to get power to the Green wire coming off of the key switch. Red and Yello sow 12 volts with key on, Black I assume is a ground. Managed to snap the screw off at the block tryinf to pull the CDI cover off. Oh well.....

Any ideas?

JAy

cybrman
05-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Green is typically ground. I would get a wiring diagram for the machine and then start testing continuity. Start with the basics like a new plug first then move up to the coil and test that , and then on to the wiring coming out of the cdi to the coil (on my machines its a black/yellow wire). Not familiar with this model though....
It sounds to me by your description that you just have a bad connection/broken wire somewhere.