PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about a Tri Z? I know nothing.

TheRealFatShady
05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a 1972 Yamaha AT2 125cc enduro, a guy wants it, and offered me an 86 5speed Tri Z. I assume they only made 250 2strokes, correct?

No pics yet, but needs top end/carb/tank. He may add cash too, so I will just buy a big bore kit for it.

Do these compare to the air coolr 250R I have, or how do they perform?

Walkerallen
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
the tri-z is a great bike. not on the same level as a R but close in my opinion

puggerton03
05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I just bought an 86. The 86 should be a 6-speed. The 85 had the 5-speed. I would think that an 86 tri-z would be faster than an air-cooled 250r?

dirtbiken
05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
dude @puggerton it dont matter if its a 85 86 or a 82 there all 6 speeds, 2 stroke 250's. A tri-z may be the best trike out there. I would say its as good as a 250r if not better. But the kawi 250 tecate are the best bike in my opioion. The triz's work really good. and yes you should make the trade.

puggerton03
05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Not all of them are 6-speeds. I would also make the trade.

Yamaha_Rules69
05-13-2010, 08:41 PM
There are 3 style tri z's --- 85 were yellow and black 5 speed, 85 1/2 was black and red, also 5 speed - and 86 werewhite and red, 6 speed, and also had larger diameter forks, and re-located overflow bottle, and slightly different carb for the major changes. The 6 speed tranny dosnt really make it any faster. The 85 tri z would take the 86 stock for stock in a drag race, because of the gearing. The 86 tranny is highly sought after, because people are always under the assumption that if it has more gears, it is faster, but thats not true. The 86 tranny may be better for trail riding - I am not sure.. Regardless, the Tri-Z is the top of the line (and only) race trike yamaha made, and I really like my Z. I dont know how the tri z would compare stock for stock against a 2nd generation 250R. I have both, but am still working on them, and plan to have a drag to see whats what. They will both have equal madifications - pipe/silencer, shaved head, mild port job. You are posting if you should trade a bike for a trike on a 3 WHEELER FORUM! What do you think the answer is going to be? I would agree with the vast majority, and say go for it! Good luck.

TheRealFatShady
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I would have liked to register the enduro and ride it like a moped/recreational scooter type thing, but it's simply worth too much. I've seen some sell for over $1200. I paid $200, and I already have two street bikes with no tags, so I think I will trade it once the guy responds.

Hopefully the tank and carb aren't hard to find.

Vealmonkey
05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
If the enduro runs and the tri z does not, I would say it's a bad trade. You may be trading a perfectly good running bike for a nightmare trike.

DixiePlowboy
05-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The 85 and 85.5 TRI-Z are great machines, but the '86 Z is faster stock than the previous yellow/black and black/red incarnations....period. The '86 had better suspension and bigger forks, along with a few other updates.

The Tecate was quick every year it was produced, but the liquid R was faster on top end. The 6-speed TRI-Z is faster than it's getting credit for in this thread.

tecat-z
05-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Dixieplowboy is correct. There is quick, and there is fast. There were quicker 250's made. But for top end 'fast' speed the 86 Z is an awesome machine. I never consider Tecates to be fast. Extremely quick is a bit more accurate. Regardless, all tri-z's are cool machines.

DixiePlowboy
05-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Just to add: My sincere respect for all three machines. Each (in stock form)shine/shined in their own way.

Air cooled R's are cool. Had one...I want another(or three). Liquid R's were the pinnacle of the Honda line. It's pretty much universal knowledge that "R" stands for rocket. Not unbeatable, but not staring at the rear of many other machines, either.

1st generation Tecates were short track terrors. If it weren't for the 1984 Tecate beatdown of the '84 R on short courses, there probably wouldn't have been such a great machine with the '85 R. Kawasaki didn't win every race in 1984, but they won enough to send Honda scrambling!
The 2nd Gen Tecate maintained the "weapon" status that is Tecate and improved upon it chassis and suspension wise...but in a drag race the first Gen. Tecate was still in the hunt. Both were that fierce.
Not slow by any measure, quick by every measure, but what made them hell in short-course, hurt them on the long straights.

The first Gen. Z was ......different...compared to the other two. Not quite enough meat to win the drag race every time in stock form, but it had alot of potential. It had a perimeter frame years before MX bikes got one. Dead nuts reliable and comfortable....capable of winning in capable hands. Will outrun a whole lot of things and put you on your behind if you're not careful. Got one in the carport....think I'll ride it tomorrow and dust some folks with a black machine. Give the R and the 350X a rest...:)
The second Gen. Z was closer to the R top speed-wise than anything else. The suspension wasn't too far behind the Honda either. Still got the "different" look and appeal, but it's still got looks and appeal. Topped out, the R wasn't far ahead, and there was some green in the background in 1986. A more potent machine than it gets credit for being.

Point:

I like....no... I love all three machines. I've owned several examples of each in varying states of modification and tune.....from new out of the crate to fully ported/built and on the tracks in 1985-1986....to today 25 years later. Any one of the brands is capable of throwing rocks and roost through windows and goggles, and dang near changing the rotation of the Earth if they happen to take off en mass in the same direction.

Tecate 50
05-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Well said DixiePlowboy.....that just about covers it! I was just having a discussion with Tecat-z about the TriZ! The conclusion was.....I have to get one!

Logan Mathwig
05-14-2010, 01:19 AM
that was very well put! I love it! 3 wheelers rock!

DixiePlowboy
05-14-2010, 01:20 AM
If my boy didn't have one sitting here for me to ride, I'd have to get another one. Just one of the perks of having 3-wheeling children:)