PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200es bottom end/ top end gasket

RiJiD-WILL
05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I am about to pull the top end off of a 200es big red the top end to bottom end gasket is blown I have a new gasket but before I start unbolting things from a motor I am not familiar with I want to be safe and get some Expert guidance (all the non expert guidance is welcomed :lol:)

is there anything I should look for other than obvious wear, and most importantly when I put everything back together is there timing I will have to mess with? or is it just a simple umbolt clean and replace as long as the motor looks good inside?

thanks in Advance I am loving this site and about to get into my very own 84 250rrrrrrrrrrrrr:twisted:

rdlsz24
05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Do you mean the base gasket that goes under the cylinder? If so, yeah you are going to have to set the timing when reassembling since the whole top end is going to come off. Do yourself a favor and download the service manual from the world class help section.

Rob

RiJiD-WILL
05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
yeah the gasket under the cylinder.

cool any tools I will need to set the timing like a timing light or anything. thanks I will be DL'n the manual now.

ilmoakw
05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
You shouldnt need a timing light, the manual covers it quite well. Just take your time and you will be fine.