PDA

View Full Version : a couple of 250r questions

cattle-dog
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
ok i picked up a stock 250r engine so i can ride my r while i build a 310 and have a couple of questions.
1) is it worth putting my boysen reed cage on the stock motor? or just leave the stock reed set up on?
2)is my kehien carb with the flatside slide stock? it has for race only right on the side of it, the air tube barely fits over the throat from the airbox, i had to heat and fight to get it over.
3) what oil do you run in your 250r tranny?

scottp597
05-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Assuming 85/86 model

I don't think it would hurt to put that reed cage on. Throttle response should in theory become more crisp.
Kehien race carbs come stock on 250rs. Look for a model number starting with PJ
I run a "gear oil" in the trans, I believe its something like 75w90 you can get it at autozone.

jeopardy98
05-14-2010, 09:56 AM
The flat slide was stock on the 86 but the 85 came with a round slide stock.

cattle-dog
05-14-2010, 02:41 PM
thanks guys this is my first 250r and wanted to make sure what i was doing was right and what was on my r its a 85 with a 86 carb then as it has a flat slide for all i know it could be a 86 motor.

Mosh
05-14-2010, 08:43 PM
How do you adjust the idle speed on your carb?

If it adjust at the choke, it is a PJ series carb.
If there is a screw in the throttle housing with a spring, then it is a PWK carb.
The size will be the inside diameter (from edge to edge) in the intake side of the carb where it goes to the intake reed boot. That is measured in milimeters.
If you measure 36mm then it is a 36 mil carb, 38 and so on.

Usually, the aftermarket carbs have a sticker that says "race use only" on the bowl.

I prefer, to run Shell Rotella T 15-40 in my gearboxes..
About 10 bucks a gallon at TSC.

cattle-dog
05-14-2010, 08:59 PM
it has the race use only sticker and the idle screw on the side, i will measure it after my ride tomorrow, i picked up a quart of 2 stroke gearbox oil from my honda dealer at 10 dollars a quart!!!!! you run turbo dieasel oil in your gearbox?

Mosh
05-15-2010, 09:36 AM
It sounds like you have a PWK Airstryker carb then. Great carbs. If it is a 38 mil, it will feed that 310 kit nicely and they work good on a 250cc engine too.

Just to clarify.
My 2 stroke Premix oil, I run Maxima 927 usually about 40-1.

My trans/ clutch oil I run the Shell Rotella 15-40w.
Last I checked, it is one of the only conventional oils left with a higher level ZDDP...Zinc.
The Zinc helps with wear on hard parts. Other oils have lessend the amount of Zinc and will cause more wear on hard parts.
Eventually, the Rotella will have to cut back the zinc levels to, forced by govt standards.

There was post about the oil topic lossing the zinc a while ago, and I cant find it..But it had some great info.