PDA

View Full Version : HELP; Whats the best way to get tires off the rim?

oldtoys72
05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I can remember doing this when I was little but don't remember how to do it! I got a set of hole shots from the neighbor this afternoon that will fit the rims I'm running on my 250SX but I gotta get the old tires off first, what's the best way to get them off? I don't want to cut them because they would be good backups in a pinch!

ditchmud
05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Deflate the tire and remove valve core. Then place the tire/rim in front of the tire on a car so that the cars tire will run over the tire but not touch the rim and then drive over it. This works good for getting the tire off the bead

Grizzlypeg
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Step one is breaking the bead. That's unseating the tire from its firm grip on the rim. Described above is one method. I use a hydraulic press and a boomrang shaped piece I made to press down on the sidewall.

After the bead is "broken", you then move the bead on one side to the center of the rim and pry the opposite side over the lip of the rim. Stake it in place with a flat iron, a piece of tapered leaf spring works well, then move slightly over and pry a little more off. Keep working your way around.

Getting them on is the same procedure. Push one side over to the centre of the rim, pry the other side over the lip, stake it in place with a wide flat iron, and work your way around.

mismatchtrike
05-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I can remember doing this when I was little but don't remember how to do it! I got a set of hole shots from the neighbor this afternoon that will fit the rims I'm running on my 250SX but I gotta get the old tires off first, what's the best way to get them off? I don't want to cut them because they would be good backups in a pinch!

I use an old bumper jack ,the car method is good but if its not right you have to keep getting out of the car or if your car is too low you are screwed.

scottp597
05-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Take it to a mechanic, 5 10 bucks they can switch tires for you.

JayBone
05-14-2010, 09:04 AM
I do it by hand with dish detergent and water. Takes some work, but i don't mind. Less than 20mins.

rdlsz24
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Without the right tools it is a huge pain in the arse. I second taking it to a place that changes atv tires.

Rob

Thorpe
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I run them into the local toy shop... 8 bucks to take a tire off...

oldskool83
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
i take um to a dealer $10 to get 2 of them off and new ones put on..im not even waisting an hour of my time for $10

Grizzlypeg
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm stubborn and its a convenience issue. I like being able to do things when I want it done. I don't mind the job and it generally goes pretty easy. I sure can't do it in 10 minutes though. Sometimes seating a new tire can be a real challenge. I use a ratchet strap down the centreline, and sometimes twist it like a tornquette with a tire iron.

jonathandexter
05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi: I have tried the car tire on some old tires, and though had done it many times in the past. However this time the tires got ruined and the rims bent because the things were so old and stuck. I finally had to heat the rubber and rim with my propane roof torch. Then after 2 and hald hours of knuckle busts sweat frustration and scared the crap out of my dog from ranting and raving, - realized my rims were bent.

This is where stubborn meets stupid, and Delayed intellegense kicks in. WASTED time $300.00. Two Replacement 250R rims and tires with shipping to hawaii $240.00 2 weeks waiting for replacement rims & tires.

Delayed intellegence is Golden! Good advice is Preciouse!

Take them to a Shop !