PDA

View Full Version : 250sx Mudflaps Custom

Chillian
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I got tired of seeing old beat up mud flaps go for so much on ebay. So i made some. Tell me what you think.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/Volaman/wheeler14fenders.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/Volaman/wheeler09fenders.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/Volaman/wheeler03fender.jpg

Woodsrider
05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Real nice !! What did you use ?? Looks like they might take more abuse than the originals.

Grizzlypeg
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Looks good. Where did you source the material?

Chillian
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
i bought bailer belt from tractor supply company. Worked perfect. 8 bucks a foot but worth it. I used an orginal mudflap for the template and cut them out. Used a drum sander to smooth them out and work the corners. Then used a lighter to burn the cords in the center of the belt. Total cost was around 25 bucks. And yes there gonna be much more durable then the orginals.

BIGREDGUY
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Not bad! Better than forking out the money.

edward mitchell
05-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey did you use the regular screws or did you have to get different one,s if so what did you get????

Chillian
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey did you use the regular screws or did you have to get different one,s if so what did you get????

I used 1/4" x 1" bolts with a washer and lock nut on the underside. I also used 2 washers under the flap to make them sit more level as the fenders are recessed.

350Xccelerator
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Looks gret man, i just got an 87 myself, luckily the flaps on mine are in pretty good shape.

Got any more pics of the bike? what bend moose handlebars are those?? im planning on getting some later this week.

Chillian
05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks gret man, i just got an 87 myself, luckily the flaps on mine are in pretty good shape.

Got any more pics of the bike? what bend moose handlebars are those?? im planning on getting some later this week.

They are moose high bend atv bars. not bad for the money but they do bend easy. Those are my second set now but for under 20 bucks i can live with it.

350Xccelerator
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks for the pics man, The bike looks great. I was already planning on getting those exact bars, I have the fourtax bend on my 350x and have always really liked them.

LOL when i saw the initial pics in your first post i saw the brake resevoir, and thought... "Disc brakes on a 250sx????".

Chillian
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I do like the bars but am open to options problem with them on this bike is you can't see the neutral light reverse light not a big deal but does get annoying at times. Yeah i get alot of looks on this machine from coming staright at you looks like a 350x i can see the confusion plus the cobra exhaust does have a bite to it so sounds meaner then it really is.

350Xccelerator
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Are those 2.5 wheel spacers on there?? I have a set of 1.5 spacers that im gonna be putting on mine. These 250sx's arent too hard turn friendly stock.

Chillian
05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Are those 2.5 wheel spacers on there?? I have a set of 1.5 spacers that im gonna be putting on mine. These 250sx's arent too hard turn friendly stock.

They are 2 1/2" spacers on it. Very stable now. They were saying these weren't for mx or anything but they have held up fine now for over 2 years. But then again this is my trail machine not my pin my head back machine. That wasn;t the intention of this machine. But they are hard to beat for trails.

350Xccelerator
05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Just installed those same bars on mine

http://i42.tinypic.com/2jfhvo2.jpg

QCR77
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
nice flaps. only mud flap i fabricated was for the front fender on my 82 110 i used to have. i used one of those green recycle bins (our neighborhood had just switched to the big trash can/recycle). came out great

Walkerallen
05-15-2010, 11:40 PM
i like to use diesel mud flaps to cut out my "aftermarket" home made mud flaps. they are so much more durable than the stock plastic mud flaps

racerxxx
05-16-2010, 12:07 AM
They look identical to the ones I bought from Maier for my SX fenders, I think they ran me 25 bucks with all the hardware to mount them, pre-cut. Yours do look good though, great job!

350Xccelerator
05-16-2010, 02:21 PM
They look identical to the ones I bought from Maier for my SX fenders, I think they ran me 25 bucks with all the hardware to mount them, pre-cut. Yours do look good though, great job!
Are those still available from Maier??

Chillian
05-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Very nice i though of using mudflaps as well but all the ones i had were beat up. Nice job on yours thou.. And i love the white looks real sharp.
And i checked before Maier stopped making them at least they did the last time i checked.

racerxxx
05-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Very nice i though of using mudflaps as well but all the ones i had were beat up. Nice job on yours thou.. And i love the white looks real sharp.
And i checked before Maier stopped making them at least they did the last time i checked.

Unless they stopped selling them with in the last 8 months, wait here they are on Maiers site:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-atc250sx-rear-mud-flaps

google the maier PN and click around.

I bought mine here:
http://www.zmperformance.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=89438

I think I paid $240 shipped for the SX rears, 250R front fender and Mudflaps ($29.94)
Had them in no time too.

I believe I saw them for 25 but the shipping was outrageous. Still not bad for $30, I'm still looking for OEM ones at a bargain.

Somewhere on here there is a thread for the "best place to buy plastics"--of course this topic came up AFTER I bought my stuff and I could have shaved off almost an additional 50 bucks or so.

Yeah I really dig the white too, just have to get off my lazy azz and do the tank.

350Xccelerator
05-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Racerxxx

Got any close up pics of the flaps???

MorganHonda200!
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
:pthose things are PRIME

Chillian
05-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Unless they stopped selling them with in the last 8 months, wait here they are on Maiers site:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-atc250sx-rear-mud-flaps

google the maier PN and click around.

I bought mine here:
http://www.zmperformance.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=89438

I checked all over to see if any aftermarket ones were still available.. Oh well.. well thanks for that info in my favorites now..

racerxxx
05-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Here's the Maier Mud Flaps on My SX, thought I'd include a few pics. And if anyone's curious thats a PRM Desert Grab Bar (the one on their website w/o a pic).:D

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/racerxxx1999/DSC_8072.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/racerxxx1999/DSC_8073.jpg

Dirtcrasher
05-27-2010, 02:20 AM
I think they came out great!! and MAIER flaps only flit MAIER fenders, I think you made a good choice........

I would run ALL SS hardware in those puppies though or someday you'll be back to square one.......

The OEM tool lid/box is wonderful, but it's a MASSIVE weak link in the SX fenders and many of them snap.

MAIER with your style flaps seem like a great choice :beer

350Xccelerator
05-27-2010, 02:25 AM
MAIER flaps only flit MAIER fenders,
Does that mean that OEM flaps dont fit Maier fenders?

Chillian
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Does that mean that OEM flaps dont fit Maier fenders?

No they work. I had my oem ones on there. But they were a mess that's why i made new ones. BUt as far as fitment they were fine.

Thanks DC i wasn't thinking, I have to go get some SS bolts and nuts..

And thanx guys for the compliments.

racerxxx
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
No they work. I had my oem ones on there. But they were a mess that's why i made new ones. BUt as far as fitment they were fine.

Thanks DC i wasn't thinking, I have to go get some SS bolts and nuts..

And thanx guys for the compliments.

Yep the Maier flaps will work with stock fenders and the stock mud flaps will work with maier fenders.
And agreed on the stainless hardware. And while I do miss the trunk, it is the weakest link of the fenders.

Dirtcrasher
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure if MAIER uses the same set up or similar to OEM, but those rectangula nuts that snap, spin and ruin the OEM mudflaps when you try removing them are just plain crap steel. I made mine up on the lathe out of aluminum and use a SS washer and screw to keep them serviceable!

If enough guys wanted them, I'd make up a few dozen or so; Even if the OEM steel ones are available, they just seize up from water and mud.

I have a few from when I made mine, I'll toss up a pic if I remember or I'm reminded :D

racerxxx
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Maier uses a phillips head,then the flap, than a small spacer(to fill the gap between the fender and flap) then the fender, flat washer, and finally a nyloc nut. All the above mentioned hardware is just zinc plated.

I'd like to see some pics of the hardware DC.

350Xccelerator
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Have any of you guys ever tried to make a front fender flap?? Anyone know if Maier makes one?

Chillian
05-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Have any of you guys ever tried to make a front fender flap?? Anyone know if Maier makes one?

I wasn't even aware that the rear ones were still availble, However i see no problem making a front flap. Actually it looks like it would be easier to make. I run the 200x front end and that plastic doesn't use a flap. I might have eough material left over to try making a front 1 thou. I'll check it out when i get back home from the in laws..

racerxxx
05-30-2010, 12:22 AM
I wasn't even aware that the rear ones were still availble, However i see no problem making a front flap. Actually it looks like it would be easier to make. I run the 200x front end and that plastic doesn't use a flap. I might have eough material left over to try making a front 1 thou. I'll check it out when i get back home from the in laws..

I'm using the 250R front fender and actually prefer the look w/o the lower flap(to utility look for me). The main reason for the 200X swap was for ride quality and looks, put the sport back into sport utility.

As far as Maier making one-- they use to back in the day make one for the "top" of the fender for the 350X. It was to make the fender a bit longer in the front and just a hair wider on the sides. The one on my buddies 350X was a light blue incolor. Sorry for the poor quality pic it was lifted from a slide from 1991. Gotta look close.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/racerxxx1999/Untitled-16.jpg

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I think you did an excellant job on the rear flap! I wouldn't hesitate to make one for the front, it's all "trial and error".

I'll post pics of the 6061 aluminum rectangular nuts with a threaded post soon.

PLEASE, send me an email that I can toss in my "REMINDER" box so I won't forget to share the parts I was making. I think I have 6b left but I can whip out hundreds if guys wanted some made up. It was an excellent solution for my problem and I used a stainless steel allen bolt SHCS up top...

You can't even HEAT the old ones because you end up melting the fender and ruining it!

I may have an old SX front fender with a mudflap I can take pics and measurements from. I'll look or please remind me to look.......

350Xccelerator
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Any of you guys know where the best place to buy the Maier flaps is? I tried ordering them on their site but it says the minimum order price is $30 and the flaps cost $29.80.

rasorroad250r
09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice work!

jeopardy98
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Any of you guys know where the best place to buy the Maier flaps is? I tried ordering them on their site but it says the minimum order price is $30 and the flaps cost $29.80.

Just give them a call. I think they will push it through without an issue.

350Xccelerator
09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
thanks, i actually just found them cheaper on zmperformance.com