PDA

View Full Version : Forks and rechroming.

Leadfoot71
05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Can these forks be saved? I've found NOS lowers (cases) and the rest of the parts needed to restore them but no one seems to have the section shown in my pic.

Right now I think I'd rather pay to get these fixed rather than drive across the whole state again only to find more junk.

200XMichigan
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I've seen places that do it online. The lowers don't look like they would clean up too bad, its hard to say by the picture though, but they don't look pitted. Some fine steel wool and chrome polish and they could look almost new. Looks mostly like oil sludge on them. Then use them until you find a NOS set, or a place to re-chrome them.

Leadfoot71
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I cleaned them as well as I could but my camera quit working so I don't have a good pic. They cleaned up a little but are still pretty scaley and rough.

Buying used forks is not easy since no one ever removes the boots for pics. On top of that, I live in a very rural area with few parts for sale. Over the last month I've pilled over 1,200 miles on my car running all over the state looking for forks and still haven't come up with anything. That is getting old! Lol!

I think my best be would be to get these rechromed.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
those look brand new compared to mine. Mine are rusted away at the bottom I think there holding together through force of habit at this point. I'm shocked they haven't broke on me yet.

Leadfoot71
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Here are some pictures after they were thoroughly cleaned. I'd say there's more rust than chrome at this point.

Questions;

1. If I were to buy a set of NOS sliders, would they actually last on these forks or would the rust chew 'em up? Mine are completely shot.

2. What type of chrome came on these originally? Hard chrome or show chrome?

3. Has anyone here actually had a set of forks similar to mine re-chromed? If so, by who?

honda250sx
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
The type of chrome that came on these would have been whats called " Hard Chrome".

If I were you I would contact these guys. They are renowned in the motorcycle restoration world.

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

200XMichigan
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
That is the kind of place you need. It has to be cheaper than driving around 1200 miles. The forks do looks worse after cleaning up. I would wait to use the NOS lowers until they are rechromed. The bushings will thank you. Just put some seals in the old lowers. Seals are only 5-10 bucks.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
those don't look that bad I'd say they could be salvaged still if you get somebody good. I should have took some pics of mine when I was repacking them they look WAY worse than that. good look let us know how it turns out.

Dirtcrasher
05-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I know it's not the same animal, but when I looked into rechroming a couple of the short out riggers on my backhoe, they wanted like 500$ a pop. I said forget it, I'll just replace the seals every 2 years :lol:

Leadfoot71
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I just got a quote on re-chroming my forks... $175. They'll still need paint too. The NOS lowers (sliders) are $100 shipped and am not sure if they contain the all bushings, spacers, seals, ect. (I sort of doubt it). If not, that'll be another $100 for everything and a set of boots.

So right now my options are;

1. Go for broke...literally. New everything. Paint, chrome, parts, ect.
2. Try to get new dust seals and bushings into bad sliders, paint and re-assamble it onto rusty fork legs, and hope for the best.
3. Find good used parts. (lol!).
4. Buy a freshly restored Big Red, keep the forks, and part it out. Not my style. Forget this option.

Since I am already in deep on this project, ($380 on NOS rear fenders, $300 fuel tank, $150 seat, and powder coated everything else) and because this Big Red belonged to my late Dad, I think I'll be going with option #1.

I think I'm gonna go puke...

200XMichigan
05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
You didn't add in that it was your dads. That's cool. When its all done, you'll have forgotten all about the $300 or so dropped into it to make the forks new. Think someday a kid could be riding that thing and say, "This Big Red used to be my grandpas."

Leadfoot71
05-14-2010, 01:12 AM
You didn't add in that it was your dads. That's cool. When its all done, you'll have forgotten all about the $300 or so dropped into it to make the forks new. Think someday a kid could be riding that thing and say, "This Big Red used to be my grandpas."

I think you're right. It's taken 28 years to get this bad, hopefully it'll be another 28 (or more) years before it gets this bad again. Hopefully my kids get to restore it! LMAO! That reminds me, if anyone has a spare girlfriend, send her my way. Oh, that and some good forks.

Here's the full story on this rig.

My Dad bought this brand new in 1982 for use on the farms. I was 11 and my brother was 9 so you can imagine how much fun we had blasting around the farms with it. It was used to pull the Homecoming parade floats during my High School years. To this day, this is the ONLY 3 wheeler I've ever ridden. He sold it in 1998 to a neighbors kid for $150 and my brother and I never seen it again.

We were pretty disappointed about that especially since it was in near mint condition. Aside from some slightly faded paint it was perfect. "Big Red" was 16 years old and the seat never even had one tear in it. It's never been in snow, rain or mud. My Dad would have kicked our a$$es if we ever got it dirty. He replaced it with a John Deere Gator 6x4. I still have that. It's cool but very slow. It's handy for going out to the rifle range here on the farm but gets very little use otherwise.

Fast forward to 2007. My friend Brandon starts asking if he can bow hunt on my land. I have to tell him no because I've got too many people here already (I have 980 acres and all five bow hunters want to sit in the same tree. Go figure...).

One day last fall, I stopped by Brandons shop and he takes me out back. "I found something of yours and I want you to have it back". There sat Big Red! Then he says; "Can I bow hunt?". Lol! Needless to say I found a spot for him that season and came home with my Dads old 3 wheeler. There isn't much left of it. Most of you would call it a parts rig. It hurts to look at it because my Dad always took very good care of everything he owned.

This June marks 10 years since my Dad passed away and I'd like to have the project completed by then.

I have an '82 Yamaha DT175 dirt bike, the Gator, a Jeep, and an old F150 so I have no real use for Big Red at this point, but I do plan on running over the neighbors kid (last owner) with it.