PDA

View Full Version : is my 200x alright? something doesnt feel right!

portland250r
05-09-2010, 12:28 AM
i finally got my 200x going but it has always been wierd in the speed.
how fast does your 200x go in first gear.
how fast is a 200x supposed to go in first gear.
i think it goes too slow.
soon im going to rebuild the top end but i still dont know why it goes really slow in the gears.
my 200x in 3rd gear is my 250r in first.
i might need to get to the transmission and rebuild it.
now my u may say that once i have been riding the 250r that my 200x just feels different but before i rode the 250r it was the same way but it just dont feel right.
i need help finding out whats going on.

rckstrgrl21
05-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Have you done all the typical tests? A leak down test, or a compression test? Is your jetting correct? Air filter clean? Spark plug? Carborator?

portland250r
05-09-2010, 01:06 AM
i bought a new air filter and a keihin carb for the bike.
i bought a compression gauge but i need an adapter that will fit the 200x so i dont know the compression.
this 200x is a lot harder to kick over than a regular 200x.
the spark plugs good but i have a little adjusting to the carb i need to do.
the story is i had a the original motor in my 200x and it had a dg exhaust and it blew up so i put another 200x motor in it the same year and the dg exhaust then thats when i bought my new carb. i dont know anything about this engines past.

xr132
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Will it rev like the :twisted: in first(and most every other gear)? If it does your gearing is prolly too low.

How many teeth are on your front and back sprockets?

Grizzlypeg
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I've got 14 / 40 gearing and in first it revs like crazy but doesn't go that fast. I prefer second for climbing something with some momentum.

jb2wheels
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
If it helps, the only place I had any luck getting the adapters for my compression tester was Summit. I got both the 10mm and 12mm. They're cheap so I just added them to one of my "regular" orders.
SUN-01800000893 0180-000-0893 REPL ADAPTER 3.69
SUN-01800000894 0180-000-0894 REPL ADAPTER 5.39

hang&rattle
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I did the same thing. The first 200x motor I blew up. The second was such an improvement, but felt like it was bogging or had a slight stall in 1st and 2nd. I just couldn't go fast enough!, I messed with the carb and ended up dialing it in perfect after countless hours, it was the clutch, for 5-6 weeks it was dragging slightly, when clutch was pulled it looked no different than new one, but, no kiddin', have about 20-25% more power. Now it easily pulls wheelies in 1st and 2nd and (kinda) third gear.

haggard 2hundie
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
what yr is your x mines an 86 and first gearis pretty useless i think , rest of the gears are strong easily pulls a wheelie in third.

Grizzlypeg
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I would think if the clutch was going to slip, it would be in a higher gear. Crazy thinking?? Its just that in 1st, it hardly takes any torque from the engine to accellerate you. The higher the gear you go, the more resistance to accellerating, so the more strain on the clutch. If it just revs up super fast in first and you hardly have any speed, that is owing to the high gear ratio of first. You should be able to spin the tires madly in 1st when you take off.

portland250r
05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I would think if the clutch was going to slip, it would be in a higher gear. Crazy thinking?? Its just that in 1st, it hardly takes any torque from the engine to accellerate you. The higher the gear you go, the more resistance to accellerating, so the more strain on the clutch. If it just revs up super fast in first and you hardly have any speed, that is owing to the high gear ratio of first. You should be able to spin the tires madly in 1st when you take off.

you just explained my problem how do i fix that?

hang&rattle
05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, Grizzlypeg, you're exactly right, that's what the mechanic said at the honda dealership (it should be slipping in 3rd or 4th), so it was weird, now I'm curious, as portland250r asked, so to learn about these clutches, is there an adjustment? I just replaced it because I don't know any better, but what else can be done?

Grizzlypeg
05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Aside from setting the clutch lever properly, there isn't any adjustment. The clutch lever should have roughly 1/2" of free play at the tip of the clutch lever. That ensure that its not dragging the release on the cluch at all times.

If the clutch is slipping, its time to rebuild or replace it. It consists of replaceable steel discs, friction discs and springs. A good rebuild would replace all three.

When you rev and drop the clutch in 1st, your 200x should really launch forward hard, wheels spinning or wheelie. If not and the motor's good, then the clutch must be slipping.

jb2wheels
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I bet the clutch slips in all gears, but you can only really notice it in the upper gears.

Grizzlypeg
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
You almost need someone familiar with trikes to take it for a spin for you. I'm not sure if you are describing that its 1) geared too low in 1st gear or 2) lacking power or 3) clutch slipping.

If the engine is healthy, it should be really snappy in 1st gear. If you have it in gear and give it gas or let off fast, it should really pull the moving speed up and down. Albeit it will only be going 20 miles and hour, but it should really lurch forward if you give it gas and drop the clutch.