PDA

View Full Version : 250es front axle spacer

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Can someone please post up a picture of your 250es front axle on the right hand side....It looks like the one I just got needs to have some kind of spacer on that side...to keep the wheel from sliding down the axle...unless there is a step machined into the axle shaft that acts as a stop....

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
yes, give sevral minutes Skip and i will take a couple of shots of mine ,,,

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I had just pulled my bigred iinto the garage to put a speedo drive gear on it so that spacer was coming off any way,,,
john

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Thank you for taking the time to take your's apart to show me....Wow...I guess I do have a spacer..I just came in from looking at it again...I didn't take it apart..but from what I can see in your pictures I am sure this one has that spacer..I guess it rides up against the inner bearing race? my axle is tightened down almost all the way to the hex head..and there is a small .0625 space between the spacer and the larger part of the axle that clamps down...I didn't realize this end was larger until I seen your picture..The end of my spacer is tapered..and has two groves cut in it...looks like it was cut by a hard seal and turn around the last time. I am new to the forums..and just purchased my first ATC..a 1986 Big Red 250es...It has a few things I am unsure about and trying to address......I was told by the guy I bought it off of that it needed a new U-Joint...I guess in the drive shaft...and it is making a noise....not sure what all that will entail..but would appreciate any advice or direction you might give..

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks again...I was just looking at your pictures again.....and noticed the blood on your hand...I hate it when they bite me!

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, couple of things about the front axle Skip.
First, if you have it apart, grease it up good before putting back in.
Tighten the hex bolt/axle all the way in and as you tighten down the 4 pinch bolts, simple shove the fork leg up tight to the spacer and tighten down the 4 clamp bolts. That should take care of any slop you have up there.
Some times it is hard to tell where a noise is coming from in the drive train. Could be the drive shaft or from my experience it might more then likely be coming from the differential the drive shaft fits into (actually over).
You might just try draining the rear differential oil (80/90 weight gear oil) and putting fresh in and see if better. take note if the oil is a milky white (water contaminated) or if much even comes out at all.

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
ok..that's good advice on pushing fork in...They guy I got it off of had just put new break shoes on front and rear, and new cables and hardware...so it might be a good time for me to pull the axle and grease or anti-seize it before it gets stuck....Just wasn't sure if something was missing....some things on it are a little off I think...It has 22x10-9 tires on the rear...regular size on front...The plastic has been replaced in the rear with what I think is OEM plastic..as it's straight across the back like it is supposed to have the black plastic mud flaps...but they were never reinstalled and neither was the black pieces that go on the side of the fenders....The front rack was removed and the mounting tabs cut off and ground out (UGH UGH UGH) and the Front plastic Notched to accomodate what I was told was a spray boom welded to the front fork...It was removed and most of the weld ground off prior to the 2nd owner purchasing it from a man that used it on his farm...so I am asking lots of questions being new to atc's and wanting to make sure things are right..

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I was told by the previous owner that he had just changed the rear end oil...and that he hadn't rode this machine in a couple of years or longer...and didn't remember it making this sound when he parked it....but it makes a sound like my old '66 chevy pickup does when the carrier bearing when out on the drive shaft...this atc only makes that sound when you give it gas and shift gears.??..Are these rear diffs. prone to going out, wearing out...I realize this machine is almost 25 years old...and they were used hard and played hard...so I half expect there to be some kinks that I'm going to have to work out..

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 05:23 PM
IMO, the differential gears will give you problems long before the drive shaft, but there again, just my opinion.
if this was a farm use Bigred (farmers loved them to tow behind there grain wagons, tractors, and so on)
I would bet money the differential fluid never got changed or not often enough.
I would still drain+ refill it just so you know it is done.
Drain plug is accessible thru the skid plate using a extension + socket.
The fill plug is located about half way up the differential on the rear of it and can be sen just standing at the rear looking down at it.

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey Skip, you ain't missing that oil seal my screw driver is point to are you ???
I needed to remove (and discard along with spacer) it to put that speedo gear drive on and I just thought I ask.

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a seal...Why are you discarding the spacer and seal??

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
How do I go about checking my diff....and/or removing the drive shaft...am I just looking for play in the gear set between the pinion and ring gear...or are their bearings in a carrier that fail?

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I am taking the spacer and seal out to put in a speedometer drive unit.
I am going to recommend you get a manual if you are thinking about going in for the drive shaft and differential area.

john

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey jes, if skip does not want the spacer and seal, what would you need to get out of them? I am taking the frozen speedo drive unit out of mine. Thanks.

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I was just getting ready to ask if you would be interested in selling that spacer..or at least get me the diminsions ...I.d., O.d. and length so I could turn one for myself.

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 07:42 PM
No, I ain't gonna need it and really don't want anything for them either.
Now, here is the problem. Wich one of you fellas do I give it too ???
How about I put both your names in a hat and let the Mrs. draw ???
Who ever wins pays shipping.
You guys okay with that ???

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
That's fine
Do you accept paypal...

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 08:04 PM
yes, i can but i would rather a personel check or m/o for this small of a amount.
Gunner, you in ?
here are the specs Skip, in inchs.

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
How about CASH...draw a name and if I win I will just send you cash...

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm ok with that idea :)

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Alrighty then ! let the game begin :)
The hat.
The results.
Gunner, pm me your mailing info.
Okay, what the heck else we gonna do for excitement tonight gentlemen :)

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 08:45 PM
OK, I'm excited, I never win anything:Bounce, I had already prepared for a loss based on my average level of luck:lol:

BigSkip
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
LOL...Gunner...Congratulations!! It's all good..I was kind of hoping you name was drawn...with the diminsions on the piece...I can turn one out in short order...Thanks again for all the great advice on my big red questions...will be posting more to the forums soon!

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
OK, I'm excited, I never win anything:Bounce, I had already prepared for a loss based on my average level of luck:lol:

Okay Gunner, you feeling lucky, you want to sigh up for one of these for 5 bucks each (5 tickets for $20.00)
I can include your ticket(s) stub(s) in the package ???

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 09:32 PM
when is the cutoff date? I just dropped about $750.00 for parts this week. I do want some, but am scratching the bottom of the barrel until the 15th.

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Skip:)

jeswinehart
05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
probably the 18th. of June for me accepting payments. I will be heading out for TrikeFest on 21st. after work or at first light on the 22nd.
You can make a donation to the site probably right up to those dates but i ain't gonna guarantee it will be caught and noted in time.
if you do paypal the site, DO NOT use the word RAFFLE ! paypal will raise holey stink and might just freeze up some things i am sure the moderators and helpers do NOT want jacked with.
Just say in support of the 350X at haspin or trikefest of something along those lines.

3Wheel_Gunner
05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I no longer use, and will NEVER again use PayPal. I sold a couple of mags for a .45 and instead of "Machined parts" like I told him, He put "Gun Parts" and the locked my account, and still have (almost 2 months) money of mine that had nothing to do with the sale.