PDA

View Full Version : Oil rotor cap screws?

hang&rattle
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
84' 200x motor. Swapping clutch. I see on my 85' parts motor that 2 of the phillips were changed to flathead screws on the oil rotor cover. Went to take off the oil filter rotor on 84' and the screws were very soft and started to strip so I changed screwdrivers, still feel real soft so I got nervous, what's the trick to it, one came off easy, the other two screws feel to soft to back out.:crazy:

shortline10
05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Impact screw driver is a must for removing those 3 screws .

hang&rattle
05-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks shortline10, shoot, I'm screwed, don't have one. Dewalt drill on rotohammer setting work?

Woodsrider
05-08-2010, 12:18 AM
A hammer drill only hammers when it's rotating...so you would be stripping your screw head before it started hammering...an impact driver would work...do you know anybody with a cordless impact driver?

hang&rattle
05-08-2010, 01:27 AM
That's what I was eventually getting at Woodsrider, thanks, I should of bought one before I was laid off Huh? But $260 on a construction site is risky, but now I know I need one at home. I'll run it to the co-op tomarrow. Thanks guys for your help.

WIkid500
05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
At your point take a drill and drill the head off they will then loose all tension because the taper is gone, turn em' out with a vise grip. Then go down the fastenal and get replacements with allan heads. That's what I did on my 200x Works real nice now.

notcheatinatc70
05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
you should try a small chisel at the edge of the screw and tap it in the loosening direction... and the impact driver i use is not battery powered. its the type that has bit inserts and you hit it with a hammer. and it only cost $50.00 from cornwell tools..

hang&rattle
05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
THANK YOU! Thank you guys, makes me more hopeful, with more options, I can continue repairing and owning 3-wheelers. As a single dad with two kids, these three-wheelers bring us so close together and are just a blast, but they take either a lot of work or a lot of money & I don't have a bunch of the latter. Thank you for truly wanting to help.