PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Help

oldtoys72
05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
So while at work (I work for the city) I spotted a 85 250SX that was in what looked like its final resting place...long story short I got it off the guy for FREE!!!! The bike is totally thrashed but after a little tinkering it does run and run pretty well! I have 2 qestions though. 1) when I kick it over sometimes there is nothing there, the kicker just goes down and chatters but other times its hard as hell to kick and fires right up. What's the deal with that? 2) it has reverse but it seems like the reverse is super slow but has tons of torgue, is this how its suppose to be? I've got a couple of fourtrax and the reverse is not this way on them.

I will post up a couple of pics of the newly aquired 250SX when I get home tonight!

Escanabajosh
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
when ya shut it down does it make a "whirl" sound in the motor? if it does i'd say the one way clutch is why the kicker slips like that, cost me a little over $100 to do mine.

the reverse is super slow on my 86 also.

cattle-dog
05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
it could also be the kicker gears may have a bad spot. mechanicly what ever you need i have, and my 85 sx reverse is very slow but torquey and its all new. i have found out of all my trikes the sx is my favorite trail bike.

oldtoys72
05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Thats exactlly what it does! When i shut it down there is a "whirling" noise and then almost as if it catches something it just stops! Its kinda annoying but thats about it, is it something that could create a larger problem? Attached are some pics of the sweet freebie trike! oh and the other bike is a 85 200X i picked up last week, needs timing chain replaced!

Escanabajosh
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
theres a few posts on here about it, look for one way clutch or one way bearing or whirl in the search.

from what i read its somthing that should be done other wise more stuff gets tore up.

i had a little over 100 in the one way bearing and gasket, another 30 in oil and 30 for the clutch holder tool. it ain't to bad a job if ya got the right tools and manual.

Escanabajosh
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
looks like ya got 25" on the rear. spose to have 22x11x8 on all 3 tires, i think the BR have the 25's the es might also

BIGREDGUY
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Nothing like free!

oldtoys72
05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
the tire situation is a pretty lame! They seem way to big and the from way to small. Its got a huge rake to it! uncomfortable to ride!

oldtoys72
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
neigbor just gave me a set of "shredder" tires that are really nice that i think will fit on the rims those huge ass tires are on now! i kinda like that it doesnt have the clutch, can really get into the trails!