PDA

View Full Version : couple of tips. Probably already covered.

Jim mac
05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
1st off, I managed to mangle the end of the crank on my 185 when I tried to pull the flywheel. Yes I did use the proper tool, I ended up shearing the bolt that goes through the middle. I replace it with a grade 8 bolt and instead of using a impact, I tried 2 big adjustables and just mushroomed the end where the nut goes.
So I ground the mushroomed end square and couldnt get the 12x1.25 die to start.
Solution? I cut the die in 1/2 with a dremel tool and a cut off wheel. Put the 2 halved over the crank where the threads were still good. then clamped a hose clamp around the die and unscrewed it off the crank. Cleaned the threads after 2 tries!

2nd, ive got a harbor frieght tire buster, for newer tires its great, on a tire thats pretty much melded together with the rim, I just hit the rim with a propane torch until it gets real hot, (tire will start to smell) hit it with the tire buster and the tire comes right off.

Just a couple of tips, So come on all you trike mechanics. tell us some of your good and not so good ideas. jim

3wheelmecca
05-05-2010, 12:01 AM
a good idea is using Chem-Prime to clean Carburetors. A bad one is filling a DG expansion chamber full of carb cleaner and coating the inside and lighting it with fire, or blowing air in it to have mouse nests and dead birds being shot at you. The fire makes a huge fireball shooting out of the bigger end. I think Newrider3 and I learned our lesson that day.
Also Moving pads are flammable, I did not have a seat for my open piped 200E, with a curved pipe tht exis behind the airbox, got a big black burned spot on my "rug".