PDA

View Full Version : honda 250sx

edward mitchell
05-04-2010, 06:53 AM
where can i get a rear rack for my sx ? also what is the difference between the sx and the 250es big red?

tri again
05-04-2010, 07:05 AM
where can i get a rear rack for my sx ? also what is the difference between the sx and the 250es big red?

hi

Most agree that they are the same mechanically, maybe a little difference in gearing but the sx is like a racehorse that WANTS to go, the big red is like...wh
atever you wanna do, let me know and I'll do it.

I have both and the sx looks smaller like stripped down version.

Pull the sx seat and you can SEE the battery but the fenders stay on.
Pull the br seat and the battery is still hidden under the frame.

I've looked for sx racks and I know they exist but haven't made it that far yet.
Not sure how they either support beHind the seat down to the frame by the trailer hitch or holes thru the fenders.

Maybe try to find sales brochures on here somewhere.

Make sure you check the differential gear oil. It only holds like 3 point 3 ounces and one looks like 3.

It wants Hypoid and 80 weight.

I'd also put some mystery oil down the choke cable to hopefully get into the choke piston chamber.

They've been known to get terminally stuck.

The only other oddity that jumps out is IF you lose your neutral light, there is a connection under a cover under the engine that can come off...not real common but it can save you from walking home.

If its an early 85, you may have cold start trouble, but there IS a fix for that.

Have fun and congrats. The sx is a great ride.

Three wheelers are dangerous.

Mine dropped a screwdriver on my foot the other day and I swear the other one took money out of my wallet when I was in the shower.

edward mitchell
05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Thank,s for the info so the bike is a good choice for what i want it for, and mine is a 1986 model do you think i will have problems starting it in the cold and if so what is the fix for it ???

ailll1
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Heres some pics of my 85 250sx
It has rear and front racks
Rear is bolted down with a bracket going throught the fenders and on the lift bar.

Doesnt seem to work
Someone will have to explain how to insert them
Anyway, you can still view them here:

http://s754.photobucket.com/home/ailll1
Hope it helps!

edward mitchell
05-05-2010, 07:03 AM
That is a nice bike what did you cut your fender,s with to install the bracket,s some say use a key hole saw but i am not sure

Escanabajosh
05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
i bought my rear rack for my 86 of a guy a few towns over. i put a ad of craigslist and had a reply in a few days. for $50 i got a 85 sx tank,a half used front maxx,and a rear rack all for the sx. i'd also check ebay.

my rack is removable and no drilling in plastic is needed. theres brackets that mount where the grab bar bolts up and then the rack bolts up to that and the other half bolts to the grab bar. it sucks cause it hangs out a bit but it is nice that i can take it off in the summer.

as for the cold, mine is a pain to start in the winter and it's a 86. as soon as summer comes it starts right up. i gotta get my elec. start working for next winter.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l414/ESCANABAJOSH/104_0292-1.jpg

Escanabajosh
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
i'll have to get some pic's of the rack on and off the bike

edward mitchell
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey that is a nice sx your rack dose hang out a bit, there is a rack that allows you to bolt it to the grab bar and then you use a key hole saw to bore small holes close to the seat to enable bracket thru it then bolts to the sx frame close to the tool kit it don,t hang out

ailll1
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I think the rack came on the trike originaly
The holes seem to be really well cut
Equal on each side in a kind of oval shape

I'll try to take more pics of the fenders and brackets but I need to borrow my friend's camera.(I still don't have one)