PDA

View Full Version : ATC 90, no forward movement

200XMichigan
05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I was helping a friend get his 90 going, it had sat in a barn forever. I cleaned the carb and got it running good. But when you put it into gear it goes no where. Not even any wheel spin if you jack it up so the wheels are off the ground. No noise coming from the tranny either. Could the clutches just be shot from sitting so long? If its the bottom end and needs the cases split I am just going to re-ring a different engine in the barn. Don't want to waste my time on this one if its the tranny but the clutches would be a nice quick job.

200XMichigan
05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Bump....just a little more info, the tranny appears to go though all the gears according to the little indicator on the side of the engine. Anyone ever seen a tranny that did nothing like this? I've seen gears go out or clutches slip but this does nothing at all. No noise either. Took apart and inspected the high low selector and it is good.

Jim mac
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
the chain didnt slip off did it? or maybe the front sproket is bad? jim

200XMichigan
05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
No, that would be nice though. Its either the clutch, or its in the lower end. I've just never seen a clutch go out that wouldn't even move the wheels. There is a box of ATC and Trail 90 parts in there and a couple other engines.

Has anyone had a one way clutch completely go out from sitting?

Pafrig
05-04-2010, 01:19 AM
thats definatly weird that the wheels dont spin... i would take all the stuff out of the hi lo box, then run it. oil will piss out that middle shaft, so watch out. see if the shaft spins, i mean, it should atleast spin in neutral. if it dosent spin, take the right case cover off (after draining the oil). then you can can see the clutch and all, assuming the clutch is even there right next to the clutch is a big gear that is driven by the clutch. this gear is hooked directly to the transmission, so if it turns, and you're supposedly in gear, something in the fina drive WILL turn if your tranny is operating properly. if its not that, and theres no obious problem with the clutch, the clutch adjustment could be out of wack. heres a quick crash course on how a 90 shifts, when you push the lever down, it pulls a pawl, that catches a wheel that turns a drum that moves gears in and out of posistion. however, before it moves any gears, the clutch is automaticly disengaged when you turn the shifter shaft. if you take it apart, you should be able to understand the inner workings of how it disengages. anyways, ultimatly, theres a screw and nut on the right case half in the protusion where the clutch rides. unlock the nut, then back the screw out a long ways. next, put it in gear and start it. if you cant get ANY movement in the final drive, you have to be missing peices. hell, the only three that could be missing are the clutch, the little gear on the clutch, (im not sure if that even comes off) or the big gear thats drivven by the clutch. basicly, if all your ducks are present, one of them must be retarted. we just dont know which one.

Vealmonkey
05-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Are you sure that the hi/lo gear selector switch is actually in hi or lo and not in between gears, meaning disengaged?

200XMichigan
05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah. I tried it in hi/low,took it apart to make sure it was good. Found one of the teeth on the hi low gears were busted, swapped them out with another set. Adjusted the clutch (so I thought). I did all the basic stuff.

I think Pafrig ht the nail on the head, something is missing. Thinking about it when I went to adjust the clutch it felt like it didn't contact anything. And the clutch cover was missing a few screws. I'll find out later today.

I didn't want to pull the side covers the other day since it was a sand storm it was so windy. And unfortunately my garage is 10 miles away.

200XMichigan
05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Ha, so that explains it. I pulled the clutch cover off and everything is missing. So that why it was acting like the clutch was totally gone, because it was.

Pafrig
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
well how about that.

200XMichigan
05-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Sometimes it helps to have someone point out the obvious. I was racking my brain thinking it was something really complicated, because I had never seen anything act like the clutch was totally gone, and have it go through all the gears perfectly, yet do nothing. Funny thing is someone must have pulled that clutch and gear set out years ago, the dust was solid all the way around. The motor looked all sealed up and complete, minus 2 screw on the clutch cover side. I gotta build a garage on my property, cracking open engines outside makes me un-easy.