PDA

View Full Version : Three Wheeler Racing

Beer_Smurf
09-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeler Racing

Has anyone had any luck in entering their Three Wheeler in any ATV racing events?

I am getting back into the sport after many years away.
Bought myself a new KFX 400 on a whim.
Thinking about racing again but would really rather race my ATC250R.

Will they let you race?
Will they add a class if you bring enough Three Wheelers?

What has been your experience?

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-01-2003, 07:13 PM
i have drag raced my 84 250R at MANY events, including, local fairs, and state fairs, and just events everywhere, i also race at the MX track in the 200-300cc air cooled class (against suped up blasters and trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro like that), i have never really been told that i couldnt race it anywhere, the only worst thing i have ever got was "your racing a three wheeler? :rolleyes: "

NOS_350X
09-02-2003, 12:17 AM
aound where i live they dot'n let you race them. i sux but i dont mind that much

2strokepwer
09-02-2003, 01:05 AM
last year i entered lots of drag races and flattrack races here in Mississippi on my 85 250R

250rmanfmf
09-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Drag racing you will have no problem getting to race, Motor-Cross good luck, there is no tracks here in washington atleast, that you can enter your 3-wheeler in, they wont let you race, only 4wheelers, drag yes, motorcross most likey not unless it is something special or a track allows it.

TimSr
09-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Any AMA sanctioned event will not allow 3 wheelers to enter, but some smaller, more local sanctioning bodies will. In ohio/Pa. we have the CRA which allows them, though I know of one individual CRA sanctioned track that will not allow them. Ive raced motocross at several local tracks with a 3 wheeler, but have to run in a quad class. One local outlaw (unsanctioned) track allowed us a 3 wheeler class if there were 6 or more, but that hasnt happened in a 3 or 4 years. Another CRA sanctioned harescramble gave us the same option, but its would be an unsanctioned class, so we would not be elligible for points or year end awards which nobody cared about anyways. Even so, Ive never seen more than one 3 wheeler entry.
The best thing to do, is contact individual tracks in your area, and see what they say. Especially concentrate on outlaw tracks and events, as the rules are made by the track owner. As I said, dont waste your time calling AMA events. Many tracks are willing to run a separate class, but youve got to bring enough other people with you for that to happen, and Ive always found that lots of people like to talk, but few are willing to put up on race day. Ive raced 5 MX races this year on my TriZ, with 200-400 ATV riders at each event, and so far, I have been the only trike though plenty of trike owners have freely told me how great they would have ridden, and how many guys they would have beaten, had they entered. Talk is the preferred method of trying to impress others when one's riding ability cant do it!!!

Ace Mon
09-02-2003, 04:32 PM
No , not here in Nor Cal . They dont let 3 wheelers in even on the flattracks . But I'm currently building up a TRX to remedy this issue . I hope to have her ready for next years flattrack events in march . By the way Flattracking my 85 r is sweet compared to doing it on a quad . It practicly steers itself .

Dirtcrasher
09-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Liability bites! Lucky for me the same SOUTHWICK track you guys have seen on the ESPN2 nationals use to race trikes. Back in 1986 I got to watch the events at night racing - it was incredible, little did I know it would disappear very soon. They had 200 classes and then the 250R's would go at it, I can remember some poor guys caliper getting locked up and it started glowing - no BS! - I still have a pin on with a 350X on it - way cool!!