PDA

View Full Version : Do you always use gaskets?

Grizzlypeg
05-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you always use gaskets, or do you ever just use silicone instead for things like side covers, valve cover, etc?

shortline10
05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Always gaskets , Silicone will kill the motor / clog up the oil passages , Never ever use silicone . Form a gasket or honda bond is ok to use with gaskets though .

Mr_RPM
05-02-2010, 06:24 PM
sometimes just sealing it up with some hondabond can work. but if your in a situation like that maybe try buying sheets of gaskets from an auto store or hardwear store. then cut your own. thats what i like to do for things like that. (buy a big role of gasket material so your always ready for any unexpected gasket needs)

Thorpe
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Gaskets....

MonroeMike
05-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I use gaskets, never silicone.

harryredtrike
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
never use silicone,always use gaskets,and preferably new one

jeffatc250r
05-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I oil up both sides of gaskets that are commonly removed ( side covers) It keeps them from sticking and ripping when taken apart. I dont do the silicone thing, I wont even buy a bike that has silicone globbed out of something that should have a gasket. In my opinion its lazy and makes me raise the question of what else was skimped out on if they cant even buy a $5 gasket.

honda200x1987
05-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I spoke with a mechanic at my local Honda shop years ago about this. They never use any kind of silicone on their gaskets, it can clog the engine and cause damage. Always use new gaskets.

84honda200s
05-02-2010, 11:07 PM
i always use gaskets .. ALWAYS ! the only place i dont is on the rocker cover and thats only because they dont offer gaskets for the rocker cover ...

200XMichigan
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Despite everyone's hate for silicone. I used this on the gasket so it will peal off easy. It is just like RTV, except it is an aerosol, and goes on as a super thin, basically like paint, but then when you pull the side cover next time there won't be any scraping.

The gaskets on the side of the 200X, kick starter side, need to be the same thickness as factory, don't know how exact but there are bearing and thrust washers and if the gaskets are to thick or thin the will be too much or too little play in the kicker gears. Just did mine last night.

I posted a thread on this a while back, also there are oil passages on the kicker side. So RTV could clog them, if you were to goop it on.

I really like this stuff. Spray it on,let it get tacky and the side cover gaskets will stick in place.

Grizzlypeg
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
So everyone's pretty much on the fence in this issue eh?:lol:

oldskool83
05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
i use gaskets for everything were they are specified, if valve covers came with them i'd use them here also, thats the only place some gasket sealer is used with me.

RodKnockRacing
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
gaskets.... quick question anyone ever try making a gasket for the rocker cover on a 200x ive always thought about it. i just think RTV can be a pain in the a!@ sometimes

shortline10
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
gaskets.... quick question anyone ever try making a gasket for the rocker cover on a 200x ive always thought about it. i just think RTV can be a pain in the a!@ sometimes

No gasket on the 83-85 200x rocker cover . Needs 0 clearance for the cam bushings/bearings . If you use a gasket their you'll have a sloppy cam shaft LOL

oldskool83
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
a thin layer of sealer on the valve cover is all ya need. you dont need much, sometimes in its easier to take a small paint brush and just brush it on then you dont get it smushing out when you seal it down and it wont get intside either.

yamaha guy
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
what do you guys think of buying gasket material and making your own? is it alright or should you just buy the actual gasket?

Mr_RPM
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
what do you guys think of buying gasket material and making your own? is it alright or should you just buy the actual gasket?

as i said before I do this often on side covers and things like that and its great, but on things that hold pressure or need to be a certain thickness buy the actual gasket (like important components need real gaskets)
the only reason to make your own gasket is when you have an unexpected need for one and dont have the time or money to order one and wait for it to come in or if the gasket is unavailable to buy individually and only available in a expensive kit on ebay. (happens alot) or if you already have a sheet of gasket to use, but other than that buy the proper gasket.

Grizzlypeg
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Do you find that you can walk into your Honda dealorship and pick up the gaskets you need? Or do you have to order them and wait several days for them to come in?

yamaha guy
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
alright thank you, got that cleared up =)

Mr_RPM
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you find that you can walk into your Honda dealorship and pick up the gaskets you need? Or do you have to order them and wait several days for them to come in?

well for my 110 most are not available anymore and can only be bought on ebay in kits, and things that are available normally need to be ordered and have a 4-10 day wait. thats how my dealer/dads work is.
thats 90% of the time on any machine too (not the unavailable part but the waiting part)

Tecate250
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Well Im no pro. Sometimes I can get into a jam but i use both. Id like to know what people use for crank case gaskets. Silicone I use all the time for exhaust gaskets. No more leaking around 2 strokes anymore. Works so well I can but havent removed the springs that hold it on. Sometimes you get a bike that something is cracked or broken but jb weld and rtv works great. I always use rtv on my cark flange and reed cage to completely eliminate any air leaks. When you live in an area where your local deales cant get you nothing and if they can you wait a year for a ststor gasket. Ill silicone and drive for a year then wait for it to hopefully come in. Ive used pop can card borad for a few gaskets in my time. One more thing. How can silicone clogg a 2 stroke?

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I oil up both sides of gaskets that are commonly removed ( side covers) It keeps them from sticking and ripping when taken apart. I dont do the silicone thing, I wont even buy a bike that has silicone globbed out of something that should have a gasket. In my opinion its lazy and makes me raise the question of what else was skimped out on if they cant even buy a $5 gasket.

I'm the same way...... Grease or oil will often allow the gasket to come off without it's layers coming apart/sticking to either side, then you HAVE to replace the gasket.

Like some others have said, some applications don't call for a gasket. Others, if you leave it out, whatever is between it may bind or at the very least wear on the 2 side surfaces it rotates on........

When I use 3bond/Yamabond/Hondabond on something like a rocker box because often they do not use a gasket - I use a tiny acid brush and stay clear of cam journals etc etc.

I little silicone in a depressed are doesn't hurt if it's put on correctly. Plenty of surfaces are gouged up a bit and you have to fill the void with something.

But, like Jeff, anytime I see stuff covered in red silicone oozing off the sides, I stay clear away from them.

I know we can't own EVERY service manual but they can usually be found for free and they tell you what and where needs a gasket or not or some other type of sealant. Even if it's not there when you buy it, it doesn't mean there shouldn't be a gasket there, it means some knucklehead put it together...........