PDA

View Full Version : 200X Timing Chain Help!!!

oldtoys72
05-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Ok, So i have been away from the trike scene for about 11 years now. I started when I was 4yrs old with a ATC 70, what a christmas that was! I took my last ride when I was about 16 on my 200X. So for the last 11 years all my trikes have sat neglected in the far back of the barn burried under a million different things! Anyways, I was driving to look at a car out in the middle of nowhere the other day and stumbled upon an old 200X at the guys place, I hadnt even thought about my trikes in years. I saw it under some old doors and stuff like that. offered the guy 100 bucks for it, he took it! So after all that lead in, the bike needs to have the timing chain replaced he said cause it is stretched, its been so long since i have had one of these motors apart that I dont even remember how to do it! There is a guy in town that said he can do it for me for 150.00 but that seems a little high to me! Can anyone walk me through the steps on how to do it? Do i need a puller for it? Please help, the old lady says if it dont run by tomorrow she is selling it on the garage sale when im at work!:twisted: the last thing i want is to lose this trike!

Grizzlypeg
05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
The Shop manual is available online to download. I may have to do the same job myself you are doing on my 200x. I'm worried the chain is stretched because its noisy and I tried the adjuster and that didn't make it any quieter.

oldtoys72
05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
where would I find the shop manual? I cant even get the bike to start, lots of chain noise when i kick it over! Dont want to screw anything up so olny kicked it a couple of times! I want to ride it badly! The itch is to large to ignore, its just sittin there out in the shed callin my name!

Grizzlypeg
05-02-2010, 03:33 PM
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/83-85ATC%20200xservicemanual.pdf

oldtoys72
05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
thanks for the link Grizzlypeg! Gonna try to get after that damn chain tonight! Hopefully i can get her running by tomorrow night!

Grizzlypeg
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Can anyone reading this comment on the quality of Dido timing chains? Or is OEM Honda a must?

shortline10
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Can anyone reading this comment on the quality of Dido timing chains? Or is OEM Honda a must?

DID are very good timing chains .

Grizzlypeg
05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Are there other sources for the tensioners, aside from Honda? How about sprockets?

oldtoys72
05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Speaking of sprockets, are there various Drive sprockets to increase power, torque? Also, when I got the bike I got a couple of frames and axles and all sorts of other goodies. What I want to do is build one bad ass trike from the ground up, any pointers? Good places to get parts? I want this bike to be super clean looking and just a bad ass toy all around so let me know what you guys know!

conrail54
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Dennis kirk has the best and cheapest aftermarket parts

Dirtcrasher
05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
^

X2 - DK has a good kit. The chain is useless without the guides.............

ALL the 83-85's do it!!

haggard 2hundie
05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
where would I find the shop manual? I cant even get the bike to start, lots of chain noise when i kick it over! Dont want to screw anything up so olny kicked it a couple of times! I want to ride it badly! The itch is to large to ignore, its just sittin there out in the shed callin my name!

i feel your pain bro ! my 200X sat on my porch for a yr mocking me cuz i didnt have the time nor funds for her, but a new coil , carb , air filter , and some jetting headaches and she purrs real nice . just take your time , read the manual and this site and you ll be good to go

pmktm
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if this will work on the 200, we used to take a spoke off a XR 75 and screw it into the cam chain
adjr after you take out the 6MM bolt and pull up on it then lock it down. Works on the SL/XL 125s. I never tried it on a
200X. hth

rdlsz24
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
^

X2 - DK has a good kit. The chain is useless without the guides.............

ALL the 83-85's do it!!

Does changing the guides along with the chain make a big difference? I cheaped out when I rebuilt my top end and replaced the chain only, and it is noisy. Adjusting by loosening the bolt doesn't help. I may tear it back down and replace the guides.

Rob

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2010, 01:17 AM
yes it does..........

rdlsz24
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Ok cool I just ordered a set. Lesson learned on this one. I hate tearing down a freshly rebuilt top end but I hate a noisy top end even more

Rob

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Take apart the guts that adjust the timing chain and remove all burs. It is a wedge type action, over time, you loosen the bolt while running to adjust it and it doesn't put as much force on the chain (weak spring) or binds up. I always take the flywheel off and inspect that whole setup.......

Good luck bud :beer

cbx1170
12-05-2010, 01:32 PM
A 3mm LOOONNNG tailight lens screw run over with a 3mm x .7 or .8 pitch die makes a perfect assist tool for pulling on stuck cam chain tensioner plungers after ya loosen up the 14mm nut and remove the 10mm plug bolt. works every time. watch out tho you can pull it too tight also..

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2010, 01:36 PM
^ Thats why I de-burr them and buy a new spring. Those manual tensioners they sell can be very dangerous in some people's hands :lol:

racer....X
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
i did everything except replace the spring in all of mine.I asume that is a dealer item???

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Yep, they may even be discontinued.

JayBone
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
better join the 200x club and post pic's STAT!!

rdlsz24
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
So now I have a new cam chain, and both new guides, new arm and spring for good measure, and it still sounds the same with the ticking sound! Valves are adjusted to spec and I even tried a different set of rockers/head cover for the heck of it and the noise was still there. I'm starting to think it must be coming from the cam, but it looks good and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the surface where it rides. I need to post a video on here to get you guys' thoughts on what to try next. It runs great but this ticking is driving me nuts

Rob

shortline10
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
A sloppy cam/journals is prob your culprit . Unless you have a new head with less than 25 hours on it I think they all tick like sewing machines LOL . Were a nice insolated helmet so you cant here it and just ride .

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Or a weak oil pump. Has the oil filter rotor ever been apart and cleaned along with the screen??

Is the o-ring on the right rear stud?

rdlsz24
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah I cleaned the rotor when I put everything back together last year, and I put in a new oem oil pump at the same time. I am using one of the new oem metal head gaskets that eliminates using the o-ring.

Rob

oscarmayer
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM
ebay will become your best friend for oil seals, gaskets, and basic parts. i haev saved hundreds on that stuff over the years on ebay.

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Then I have to agree with worn cam journals (I'm sure you adjusted the valves cold) and or worn cam.

I feel bad, you've replaced everything and I cannot stand that F'N noise the 83-85 200X makes (let alone the kicker slippin) but something has to be out of spec or not enough oil is getting to the top end somehow. Oil gallery, oring behind the pump etc etc.

Unfurtunately, worn cam journals are easy to feel but difficult for the average guy to measure............

rdlsz24
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM
So my options for that would probably be new head and cam correct? Not really sure I want to stick that much more into this thing. I've already spent a boatload on it making it look good and on the engine rebuild.

On a side note, I'm thinking the 200x head I got in a box of parts must have had this same problem. It has the larger journal machined out and a brass bushing was in there for the cam to ride in. Kinda bizarre. I will post some pics later

Rob

shortline10
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
What cam are you using ? A larger lift cam has a tendency by nature to be quit a bit louder than the stock oem one .
You can always pull the cam cover and loosen the timing chain tension and check the cam for excessive play . Also a straight 50W oil will help with a noisy top end but I don't recommend it for you northern boys in the winter months .

rdlsz24
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Stock cam as far as I know. I will have to check out the cam play. How can I make sure the head is getting enough oil? I have put a few hours on it since the rebuild. I figure it would be toast by now if it wasn't getting oil up there.

Rob

ATCrider42
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Did you check your CDI? There are two parts behind the pulse generator that are held together by two small springs. One spring on top and the other on the bottom. I am missing one spring on the top and it makes a loud ticking noise that sounds like valve or piston slap. Others have had this same problem. It's very easy to check and once you pull off the CDI cover and the pulse generator you'll see what I'm talking about.

rdlsz24
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I will have to check that out, thanks for the suggestion. I also read in another thread when searching that if that mechanism is not greased it can be noisy as well so I am going to try that also.

Rob

TurboTacoma
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I will have to check that out, thanks for the suggestion. I also read in another thread when searching that if that mechanism is not greased it can be noisy as well so I am going to try that also.

Rob

Yes... I have a 200s and like you the ticking noise drives me nuts. I put packing grease in the the CDI advancer after cleaning it and it helped reduced the ticking!

rdlsz24
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I found the outer valve spring is installed upside down with the tighter coils up instead of down. Could this be a cause of excessive noise?

Rob

rdlsz24
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Installed a new oem cam and rockers, and for good measure I flipped the outer valve springs around since the previous owner installed them upside down. The top end is now about 1000% quieter!! Sweet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/NewParts.jpg

Rob

bcredneck
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
you never replace a chain with out guids its a waste of time you dont solve the whole problem
edit opps didnt realise this thred had 3 pages