PDA

View Full Version : lifan conversion for my atc70

benb1984
04-30-2010, 06:39 AM
after 2 weeks of havin a c90 scooter engine in the 70, i become bored and found a cheap 125 pit bike for sale.. took me all day to make it run.. had spark but carb was full of crud.. after lots and lots of kicking it finally fired to life and seems to run strong.. im just waiting to find a clutch cable and lever coz the pit bike seemed to be missing these, then i will swap the engines over, my mates girl wants a bike to learn on so the c90 motor will go in the pit bike.. i cant wait to get started.. i will post pics of the proccess tommorow, im not expecting any hassels, should be a straight bolt up if my research is correct..

any handy hints would be handy, but i will manage either way :)

harryredtrike
04-30-2010, 10:03 AM
125cc should wake her up for you.sounds like a great project.cant wait to see the pics

Sparkplugkid
04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
The only thing id be considering not matching perfectly up would be the kick starter. But if it does, Id love to do a conversion like this someday!

tri-Z ripper
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Just go to the DR www.DRATV.com or www.sterdyproducts.com and get a pull start conversion you may need a different intake to fit the carb under the tank! glamis dunes forum website has alot of info as well as do a search here and you will find plenty of what your looking for!

benb1984
05-01-2010, 03:38 AM
im not sure wat to do about the kick start yet.. its a dog to start the pit bike as is, and there is no way itll work with the back wheels on once in the trike.. id hate to have to try pull starting it with the kicker, so ill probably end up bump starting it most the time.. got some pics.. waiting for a clutch cable before i start pulling stuff apart, id hate to miss riding the 70 for a day :P has anyone had any experience with the hydraulic clutch set ups off ebay? i can get 1 for less than 50$ to my door, where the cable and lever to buy local will probably cost the same..

had a play with the throtle on on the 70 today.. wasnt happy with the twist throtle or the 70's thimb throtle, so i adapted a 200e thumb throtle.. works perfect.. can acctually hold my wheelies now.. :D

MuckUte
05-01-2010, 07:01 AM
You can put spacers on the rear wheels so the kick start will clear. I was bump starting my '73 model until it striped the chain tensioner so i got the pull start conversion kit. It's not for the kickstart it allows the stock 70 pullstart to fit onto the lifan engine. I also ran the clutch with the brake lever and changed to a disk brake rear with a foot pedal

benb1984
05-01-2010, 07:17 AM
where did u get spacers from? i may just get some plate and try make my own and just use longer bolts.. there couldnt be much more to them? only down side would be the guards wouldnt fit?i may use the brake for the clutch, id rather not cut it off since the bars are nearly perfect and im guessing hard to find like that... as for brakes.. they seem to work fine when its sitting still.. but to try to pull up takes alot longer than i want it to.. so disk brakes will probably be nessaceray.. how did u make your disk brake? can i just adapt it on to the rear axel cover? that would be easy.. but i may still put the brake on the throtel side of the bars.. when i ride 2 wheels i only use the front brake.. never got the hang of the dam foot brake.. the one on my big red seized from not being used.. i feel i have better control not having to worry about my foot being ready on the brakes.. not gonna bother with a pull start, its just more weight.. and not really worth the hassel if i can start it easy anyway..

ill make a start on pulling things apart tommorow and get some more pics as soon as things start to come together..

since i started the 70 project a few of my mates have decided they want a trike to. its funny how people turn there nose at first but after a few goes they become addicted.. im trying to steer them towards a 200x theres a few around in real nice condition...

benb1984
06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
its all done now.. i used spacers on the rear wheels, well longer bolts instead of studds and lots of washers... all i need is a rear tyre and tube coz the left rear is screwed.. other wise there is only simple stuff left to tidy up.. took it around the yard this morning and loved it, tho the clutch and twist throtle will take me some time to get used to and i seem to grab N alot out of first, but can never find N when its stopped... all up i think its gonna be great.. although hill climbs are gonna be a bit of a worry. any way check out the vid, ill post some more pics and vids when i get a chance to take it out somewhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsOeHajzbrc

HaggLE
06-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Thats the power Honda should have made them with

benb1984
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
got her set up with an atc250 es seat, fit on pretty good and much much more comfy and easier to move my weight around.. all i want to do now is gear it down a little bit.. it tops out at about 90ks, which is gettin a bit scary, and hill starts just turn into wheelies.. check the pics.. let me no wat u think..