PDA

View Full Version : tecate top end flat

mudbogger
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
trying to dial in my motor, I am DOING PLUG CHOPS on the 35MM PWK but currently I can't get any top end -I went from a main jet of a stock 160 to a 165-got better but way lean.Went to a 168-170 all lean, plug white,no brown at all.I am using V-FORCE reeds with the stuffer installed,fresh motor on stock 70mm Wiseco, 13-42 gearing.I am currently on the 2nd groove from the top on the needle, (it was on the 4th from the factory)AND NOW HAVE A 175 main in there.The plug chop was better, but still in my opinion lean,there is a very small burn pattern on the porclein but IMO not dark enough.Idle to 1/4 throttle pulls right through-1/4 to 1/2 throttle same, tire comes off the ground in 1st through 3rd gears,1/2 to 3/4 same pulls right though,3/4 to top end it just flattens out, this all leads me to think the main is too small, but I am at a 175 already, that seems big-any ideas?

tecat-z
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
First off, no 2 engines are the same. What works for one person may not work for you. There are so many variables in any given engine "and full exhaust" that explaining them is nearly pointless. What i do, is start off fat from the needle setting into the main. Since you have a pwk style carb i'd put the clip on the 2nd grove from bottom. This will insure plenty of fuel from throttle tip in through the point where the needle and main overlap in sequence. A 175 doesnt sound particularly big from my experience. I'd jump up to a 180-182 on the main and see what happens. If bike won't pull cleanly through due to wet plug condition, you can then go down from there. untill you have a clean throttle.There's no harm in overfueling a 2 stroke when dialing. It's the safe way. Stock reed blocks work very well btw with plain old Boyesen replacements. The intake volume on these cylinders is HUGE! The stroke is very short. You need to let the engine fill fast like it was designed to do......

mudbogger
04-29-2010, 08:39 PM
First off, no 2 engines are the same. What works for one person may not work for you. There are so many variables in any given engine "and full exhaust" that explaining them is nearly pointless. What i do, is start off fat from the needle setting into the main. Since you have a pwk style carb i'd put the clip on the 2nd grove from bottom. This will insure plenty of fuel from throttle tip in through the point where the needle and main overlap in sequence. A 175 doesnt sound particularly big from my experience. I'd jump up to a 180-182 on the main and see what happens. If bike won't pull cleanly through due to wet plug condition, you can then go down from there. untill you have a clean throttle.There's no harm in overfueling a 2 stroke when dialing. It's the safe way. Stock reed blocks work very well btw with plain old Boyesen replacements. The intake volume on these cylinders is HUGE! The stroke is very short. You need to let the engine fill fast like it was designed to do......

Thanks for the help-knowing the stroke is short helps me in the sequence of jetting.I ordered some larger jets tonight on the same premise as you, to get more fuel to at least wet the plug, then go down from there.I still have the old reed cage-does the stuffer I installed with the reeds really increase the flow, or just causes the emulsion of the fuel into the cylinder quicker?

sblt500r
04-29-2010, 10:44 PM
v force reeds don't use a stuffer. unless what i think a stuffer is, is different than what you think it is. you have the whole v force reed cage? not a stock cage with the v shaped stuffer inplace?

a v force cage should flow more fuel than the stock cage, as theres more reed area.

mudbogger
04-30-2010, 11:41 PM
v force reeds don't use a stuffer. unless what i think a stuffer is, is different than what you think it is. you have the whole v force reed cage? not a stock cage with the v shaped stuffer inplace?

a v force cage should flow more fuel than the stock cage, as theres more reed area.

I have the full V-FORCE 3 REED CAGE-the stuffer came with it (it was inside the cage when opened)and I installed it with the cage-

jeswinehart
05-01-2010, 07:34 AM
What the heck is a "stuffer" plate ??? I am not see'ing anything but reeds, gasket and intake ???

john

nd4speed
05-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I find these KX250 reed cages some with and without plastic cage stuffer for OEM cage. Often it seems people toss them out. Check the parts diagrams?

jeswinehart
05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't know Daemion, don't see any thing of it in bikebandit.
Sounds more like restrictor plate racing to me :)