PDA

View Full Version : 250r skips 2nd gear

Rainer
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about buying an 1984 250r for around $600 he says it skips right over second gear and it needs a new headlight but iv never messed with my trikes transmission so if any one could tell me how much it would cost to have a shop fix or could I do it and is this a good deal?

Macdiesel
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
either two things are wrong if its skipping 2nd.... the gear is stripped or the shift forks on the inside are shot, either way I would wonder where all that metal went and how bad it destroyed all the other metal stuff inside the lower end, as to fixing it the shop manuals available on this site give a step by step on re building the transmission, I my self am learning and so far its not that bad but I don't recommend tackling the job by yourself with out someone there to guide you along. You can actually get an overdrive HD transmission for around 3-400, installation could range anywhere from 100-500 depending on the shop, stock gears wil be cheaper but like I said when you go look at it change the oil to look for how much metal comes out and that will give you an idea of how bad the other stuff is going to be

tecat-z
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
If the gears aren't broken or chipped, the trans can be cut. It's the only correct way to fix a slipping "popping in and out of gear" trans on a 2stroke manual clutch trans. Typically the forks take the brunt of abuse when this occurs due to the pin following the path in the drum which makes the gear slide over. But when it slips it slams hard against the fork wearing through the super hard surface treatment the shift pads have. It can also cause the drum galleries to become galled or wear which creates excess clearance between fork pin shift galleries. It the snowball effect in the works.