PDA

View Full Version : YT-175 parts availability

200XMichigan
04-28-2010, 12:58 AM
How hard are parts to get for these? Looks like the CDI's are discontinued? I don't want to get something that if the CDI goes out I have to search for months. There is a really clean on near by for a good price. Looks almost like new.

Vealmonkey
04-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Parts aren't too bad. I've managed to find most engine and electrical parts nos, except for a wiring harness. I have nos plastics and seat, except for the tank cover.

200XMichigan
04-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Saw your Pro Tec YT175 build, that looks awesome. The lack of rear suspension is the only thing I don't like about the YT175. Would you say the YT175 parts are as easy to find as a first gen Tecate?

Vealmonkey
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I couldn't tell you about any tecate parts. I've found aftermarket yt exhausts and suspension kits and pro tec
chain tensioners and all kinds of other bits and pieces. I have a complete nos rear axle and all the wheel
hubs and sprocket hubs and bolt locks and all that. Nos rear grab bars and skid plates and wider footpegs,
so the parts are there if you are willing to look and willing to spend $. If you are looking for a cheap hooby,
stay away from trikes, that is if you want something nice.

200XMichigan
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Not about the money, just availability. Not that I am rich or anything. But as long as I can find parts I am happy. Do you like the YT175 a lot? Really just looking for some pros and cons of this trike. Never seen one up close. Both trikes I am looking at are 100 miles away. So I want to narrow it down before driving there.

Vealmonkey
04-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Front ends have a tendency to be light, real wheelie machines. The shifter mechanism can be a pain with it's linkage. They do us a fuel pump. Carb and jetting can be tricky on a 2 stroke. They are rather quick, quicker than a 185s or 200s. I don't like the stock front forks, and changed mine to a ytm200 front fork setup, which I like better. yt175 parts can be hit or miss, so I always try to pick up bargains when I can find them. No maier rear fenders or tank cover available. Seats have a steel pan, so can be a pain. Lights come on when you start the trike, not a seperate switch. Clutches can be a headache. Get a manual. Be patient. They are quite fun. More of a handful than a 185s or 200s. Have lots of potential for modding. Not for a beginner rider, so don't let friends just jump on the trike and go.

Sparkplugkid
04-28-2010, 04:55 PM
I Got a free YT-175. Overall I like it alot. I never thought they had a fuel pump untill I was looking around it the other day and found it. I am kinda scetchy about the oil pump regarding reliability but so far so good. My front end is kinda tweaked but that may be fixable. I would really like to find a aftermarket exhaust for it, Yes its quite fast good torque once the rpms are up...If you give er in the second-third gears and you are leaning back aways, it has no problem pulling the front end up. I think yamaha made a weird design by putting the motor so far back in the chassis. So far I havent flipped it which is good, dont go on the side of hills or drive crazy and over all a good machine.

cox
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
I love my yt's. Always run and i have yet to have a real problem. Finding them in my area is hard, so i buy parts trike whenever i can and cannibalize parts, rebuild them and use them.

200XMichigan
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks. No one gets to ride my trike (soon to be trikes). I've got a Chinese quad anyone can learn on. If they crash it, who cares. Eventually I am going to buy a trike with no fenders to let people ride also. Once the pass both the tests, then maybe they could ride my trike.

Here's a picture I was just sent of the YT.

cox
04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Awww, i want that front rack....

Vealmonkey
04-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I do believe the front fork tubes are on backwards. There should be a brake drum on the left hand side and I don't see it. The front wheel should be centered under the front fender, not sticking out like that.

Yamaha_Rules69
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
The parts you would need for this machine are out there, and can be found. I think the CDI from a YT 125 will interchange, and I know the coil will. I have both a YT 125, and 175. They are decent machines for what they are. They are light weight, and I use my 125 for wheelies, you can ride them forever, even in 5th gear if your good! The suspension on the front of the 175 isnt the greatest, but it will soak up small bumps. They feel a little akward to ride at first, but you get used to it. It feels like you ride on top of it, not in it, because the seat design looks like a turtle shell. The 83 model 175 is a little better than the 82, because it is a little more hopped up, has a larger reed cage and intake boot, and bigger jet in the carb. I used to own both a 82 and 83, but sold the 83. My 83 would smoke my 82, but I had a bassani expansion chamber on it, and the 82 had a stocker. Adding a performance pipe to the 175 really wakes it up! The stock pipe design just looks plain goofy, and adds a lot of weight. I also like to eliminate the oil injection system, and mix the oil in the gas. Let us know if you get it, and feel free to post pics and questions!

200XMichigan
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Good eye, seems like a lot of people must have put them on wrong. Hopefully the brakes are still there, just on the other side. Yeah I never thought of a two stroke as a utility trike, but they sold a hitch for them, this one has a hitch. Probably not the most utilitarian trike though.

cox
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Ya looks like those forktubes are on backwards, good eyes vealmonkey. For what i use my yt175 for its perfect. Tight trail riding, and to tell you the truth, after some practice it makes one heck of a hillclimbing machine as well, no joke. The stock exhaust on them is a joke though, It winds around like an S and is quite heavy. Im counting the days down till i can get some aftermarket exhausts for the YT's.

Vealmonkey
04-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes, the aftermarket exhausts do make a difference. I wonder if anyone has any?????

Marc
06-15-2010, 12:00 AM
where du i find an aftermarket exhaust for my yt 125?

200XMichigan
06-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Die thread, die. I made this thread and it is old. And other than the usually places E-Bay, craigslist, thats the only place I could think to find an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe at the junk yard if you're really lucky. But I don't think anyone makes them new. Post in the classifieds section. Someone might have one to sell.