PDA

View Full Version : 200s front axle stuck won't loosen

m brater
04-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Started to take off the front wheel on 200s to fix tire. The yahoo I bought it from tighted it like king kong. It won't budge w/ my air impact or snap on breaker bar. Can I heat it w/ a propane torch or will that cook my rubber fork parts?

m brater
04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Any help would be great. Thanks

jb2wheels
04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I had one with bent forks and looked like the brakes on both ends sat under water at some point. Anyway, between the bent front end and corrosion issues, the front axle was a real pain. My 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar wouldn't touch it. My 1/2" impact wrench wouldn't touch it.

Spray the threads and as much of the axle you can reach with the little spray nozzle with whatever your favorite penetrent is and let it sit overnight. Flip the thing on it's side and dribble the stuff in if you need to. Repeat as long as your patience will let you - I'm usually only good for a couple of days. I've read ATF+acetone workes great but I never tried it.

Whack the hex end of the axle a few times with a BFH to help break the corrosive bonds. Just don't trash the hex.

Get a big breaker bar and a cheater if you need it. I have a 36" 1/2" drive breaker from Harbor Freight for just this kind of job. I also have about 2 more feet of cheater pipe I use. I've actually twisted the 1/2" drive lug of a breaker bar before. You might have to stand on it and bounce it or get a fat buddy to help (I outweigh everybody in my cul-de-sac so I'm the fat buddy).

Mine was so bad I had to use the breaker bar to thread it all the way out 1/2 turn at a time. Neither the impact wrench nor the 1/2" drive ratchet would give me enough leverage to take it out.

I don't know about the heat - I didn't try it. In my case, the threads were the least of the problem.

Good luck!

shortline10
04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Some heat in the right place and a piece of hardwood and a decent size hammer and go to town on it .

84honda200s
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
ive used a torch before .. it burned the dust seals in the hub but sometimes its worth burning a 3.00 seal rather than spending a week tryn to get it off there lol. but yea you could heat it up and then shock it then heat then shock it and keep doing that. it usually works good. when you shock the hex put a socket on the head or use a piece of 4x4 and a bfh ..

trikes4life
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
i dont want to scare you but i had to cut a few off before