PDA

View Full Version : Seat foam questions

Leadfoot71
04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
How bad is my seat foam? It's in one peice but the right front corner is missing and there are many small chunks missing from the rest of it. This rig is going to be a stone stock restoration and it all needs to perfect when done.

I have absolutely no experiance with upholstery. I did order a new seat cover but right now I don't know if this one is worth trying to save or if I should just start looking for another.

Thanks in advance.

harryredtrike
04-24-2010, 09:15 PM
id try to locate another one,it can be used if prepped right.youll have to fill in the holes and missing pieces before putting your new cover on.there was a top notch how to thread on here but idk anymore

Mosh
04-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Good luck with that..That foam is hit and most certianly will not do the job for a perfect resto..
The bummer is No one makes replacement foam for the Big Reds'.

You have 2 options.
Find a decent foam or used seat to work with, or Carve and shave your own foam from a bulk block of foam you purchase, which with experience will take around 6-8 hours of time to get perfect.

BIGREDGUY
04-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I think you would save yourself a lot of trouble by just locating a new one, it looks pretty banged up. Make sure you keep us posted on the resto!

Dirtcrasher
04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Foam isn't easy to patch without it showing a lump in the cover. Many people suggest a carving knife for shaping and I've seen them use right angle grinders for the curves but the grit or disc will have to be experimented; Not to mention, what type or density of foam is correct??

I've asked before a few times about how to repair foam and had been given very little or no information......

Leadfoot71
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Mosh ;This is one option I've been looking at.http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=391084&store=Main&catId=&productId=p391084&leafCatId=&mmyId=4920 I don't know how close this is though since they have it listed as fitting many different machines.

I'm going to have to start making decisions soon though. My Big Red is down to the frame right now and everything is ready for paint and powder coat. I'm still looking for forks, decals, and seat. If I had those three things I could start moving again.

BigRedGuy Nice to see another Minnesotan here! I'm just south of Winona. I'll definately do a full report on my resto when done. I'm stuck right now though. Wanna sell me your seat? Lol!