PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 200x Question

kmc3183
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
hey whats up guys, I just bought a 85' Honda 200x a couple weeks ago and I was changing the oil last night and i noticed a chunk of aluminum about 3/4 of an inch long and 3/8ths wide, it was painted black on one side and just bare aluminum on the other, and there was alot of little pieces of shredded aluminum at the bottom of the pan i used to catch the oil. Any ideas on this guys??? It seems to be running fine, starts right up, the only thing I have noticed is a little knocking noise the engine is making. And if it is F'd up how much do you think a shop would charge to fix it? Thanks alot guys, any help will be much appreciated, Semper Fi

200XMichigan
04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Was it a square chunk? It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look under both of the engine side covers to see what is going on. Is the knocking coming from the top or bottom? Top would be you cam, probably, bottom: rod and main bearings. Shops charge a lot usually.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

shortline10
04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Lets see a pic of the chunk .

oldskool83
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
it could have been a pervious piston that broke or somthing. only way to tell is rip it 100% appart. if your dont wanna do that right now i'd change oil a few times to see if anything else is found. i would check to see if the timing is correct and or timing chain needs to be adjusted, check the intake and exhaust valve clearances. .002 intake, .003 exhaust and make sure all the head/valve cover bolts are tight 1st. i had a 85 xr200 rvfc motor chatter badly and 1 of the valve cover bolts were stripped, and 1 wa missing. the cam would make it chatter. if the knock is still there it could be a worn cam bearing, or cranks shaft bearings.

Mr_RPM
04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
hey whats up guys, I just bought a 85' Honda 200x a couple weeks ago and I was changing the oil last night and i noticed a chunk of aluminum about 3/4 of an inch long and 3/8ths wide, it was painted black on one side and just bare aluminum on the other, and there was alot of little pieces of shredded aluminum at the bottom of the pan i used to catch the oil. Any ideas on this guys??? It seems to be running fine, starts right up, the only thing I have noticed is a little knocking noise the engine is making. And if it is F'd up how much do you think a shop would charge to fix it? Thanks alot guys, any help will be much appreciated, Semper Fi

i know my dealer charges 91 an hour, and its not done by how long it takes the mechanic to do it but honda has a time that its suppost to take and will charge you on that. they will tear it apart and find the problem (prolly 90-180 dollars, then prolly 500-800 of labor depending on what broke, if this is a rebuild, then parts. prolly in total of close to 1000 dollars if its a bad break. but i know my dealer genuinly wont work on machines that old either. you way better off doing it yourself or with a friend and a manual. but if i were you, id call the dealer first and ask what they think it might cost. if you go that route

AutoXer
04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
slap a lifan motor from e-bay in there $400 and you have a new motor with electric start and a new everything else

kmc3183
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
The knocking noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine, and will a lifan engine fit a 200x and do they suck? Also how can I upload a photo on here to show you guys what the piece looks like, many thanks, Semper Fi