PDA

View Full Version : Help on an ATC200E Carb needed! I wanna go riding!

Serious Tim
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, after a brief affair with a couch, I'm back on three wheels :)

Ran into a problem, though. 1983 ATC200E. Was a bit hard starting ever since I got it, and fouled plugs, but ran well. Today, as my son was tooling around the back yard, it stalled, and it would run, but only at full throttle, and very choppy, as if it was overchoked.

Long story short, took the carb off, and removed the float bowl, and lo and behold inside the float bowl was sitting what I believe is the main jet holder (the part with all the little holes at the top). But, according to the Clymers, I didn't see a main jet in there. It could be stuffed up inside, but I didn't see anything.

Cleaned the carb and gas tank (old gas), screwed the holder back in, and no fuel flow out of the carb at all. I assume that it's supposed to be all the way in, and nothing else was inside the float bowl. Is it possible that someone just unscrewed the holder a bit for the fuel to flow properly? Am I missing parts? Am I doing it wrong?

Help! I wanna go wheeling this weekend :(

Thanks all!

drag banshee
04-21-2010, 11:33 PM
remove float dont dont drop small clip that holds seat to float that passage is probally blocked seat is spring loaded if the tip torward the float wont press up and down easy that is in need of replacement.spray passage out with carb cleaner easy way is to take all apart clean and re assemble their is only 2 screws to remember settings idle and air count turns clockwise till tight then remove that way you know to thighten then how far to back them out carbs are simple you also have the book once you tare down and put back together you will see how easy it is

Serious Tim
04-21-2010, 11:48 PM
remove float dont dont drop small clip that holds seat to float that passage is probally blocked seat is spring loaded if the tip torward the float wont press up and down easy that is in need of replacement.spray passage out with carb cleaner easy way is to take all apart clean and re assemble their is only 2 screws to remember settings idle and air count turns clockwise till tight then remove that way you know to thighten then how far to back them out carbs are simple you also have the book once you tare down and put back together you will see how easy it is

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Everything seemed free of gunk inside, and as I said, it was running today. I take it that I'm not missing anything? In all the carbs I've rebuilt, I've never seen this happen.

drag banshee
04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
sometime the smallest thing right if front of your eyes can cause the problem and its over looked.been there many times good luck with your fix

aldochina
04-22-2010, 01:20 AM
you should have a needle jet, then the needle jet holder in the tallest port. then a slow jet, and a main jet in the other port.

Serious Tim
04-22-2010, 07:14 AM
you should have a needle jet, then the needle jet holder in the tallest port. then a slow jet, and a main jet in the other port.

I checked everything twice and nothing. That said I'm left with two options, either it's in there and I didnt see it, or it wasnt in there at all.

Either way, the carb's coming apart. Thanks for the input :)

Serious Tim
04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
For some reason this morning, it took a while, but she fired up!!!!!

This thing is really hard starting cold, catches and dies. Any advice on carb adjustment for cold starting?

Thanks all :)