PDA

View Full Version : Ytm Clutch problems

tri snort
08-30-2003, 11:19 PM
My 84 ytm 225 was stuck in 3rd gear. I had a dude fix it, he got it shifting again, but now when you lift up on the shifter it pops into gear. It's not susposed to engauge until you release the shifter and let it down. It's like the clutch ain't working right. You can go through the gears and it shifts ok it just slams in gear especially when down shifting. I took it back and he said it would cost more to fix. I feel he fixed the stuck in gear problem, but created another. Anybody got any suggestions. I tried to adjust the clutch but it didn't help. It doesn't seem to have as much tension on the shifter lever as it did before he screwed with it. I think he put a spring in wrong or left one out?

J.D.
09-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Sounds like it might just be the clutch. On the right side case, you will see something that says "INCREASE - DECREASE" with corresponding arrows, this is your clutch adjuster. Take a wrench, loosen this nut, take a flat screwdriver and turn the screw to the left until you feel resistance, then turn it 1/8 of a turn to the right. Hold the screwdriver there so the screw doesn't move, tighten up the nut, and you've just adjusted your clutch. Sounds more complicated than it really is, just follow it step by step. Lemme know how it works!