PDA

View Full Version : 200x axle install issue

xrider
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey guys,

I am having an issue re-installing the rear axle into my 200x after installing new bearings. I can slide the axle in, but can't get it to go on the last half inch or so where the axle seats into the bearings. This is the first time I have had this issue so I am not sure how to proceed. The axle and bearings are greased up well. The swing-arm is stock, the axle is a durablue +4. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

mtsnieg
04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I had the same thing happen with a stock axl. I tapped it in with a rubber mallet. Didn't take much, just tapped it in;).

harryredtrike
04-21-2010, 12:54 AM
any rust or dings in the axle itself?where it seats on the bearings it has to be clean and burr free

xrider
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I'll have to check it again next time i"m at the shop. I'll give it a good cleaning and try again. Already tried using a mallet with no luck.

rdlsz24
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I just had this happen trying to install a low hour oem axle into an oem swinger with new bearings. I ended up making a sort of clamp out of 2 boards with a large hole drilled in them to fit over the axle and press against the swinger. Then I used 2 long bolts through the boards to pull them together like a clamp. I tightened the nuts on the bolts and it pulled the axle in. I have grown wiser over the years and really try to not beat on stuff anymore to get it apart or together.

I'm still not sure I have it to where it needs to be but I can't get it to go any farther. I have about an 1/8" gap. Is this ok?

Rob

whyzee
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
had the same problem with my 85 350X. turns out the morons sold me an 86 rear carrier ( brand new from a bike shop, I even asked them when I saw it that it looked to wide to fit. Are you using a stock rear carrier or an aftermarket one. The one I got was an aftermarket bit turned out I needed an aftermarket axle to make it work.. major bummer!