PDA

View Full Version : 82 185s throttle response

sblt500r
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
i have an 82 185s. put on a new cdi, coil, carb(one of the cheapos on ebay). it starts right up one pull. idles great. but when you give it throttle fast it will die. have to give it throttle easy for it to rev. top end runs good when you rev it easy.

what causes it to die when you give it gas fast? i've had this problem before but i can't remeber how i fixed it.

i've had the carb off a bunch of times. changed jets, the needle postion, adjusted the airfuel screw. everything makes no real effect. this carb has a larger slide than the original, maybe its too much fuel?

fabiodriven
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I've seen a lot of people having problems with those Ebay carbs. Guys post here and there and say that theirs worked just fine, but for the most part I have noticed a lot of people having problems with them. Dirtcrasher's 200X has one of those carbs on it and I swear that's the reason he can't get it to run right. The guy is a diagnostical genius and that trike has him stumped. I blame the Ebay carb. I would suggest finding a good carb that you know works and trying that. Then go from there.

And stop yelling at the poor little kids at the pit! Lol!

MonroeMike
04-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Float level too low?

JustEnough
04-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Since you have gone through the carb thoroughly, the lean condition when accelerating is likely from another source like the manifold. Take off the intake manifold and replace the rubber O-ring gasket if it looks smashed flat or cracked. Inspect the manifold for cracks and torque the nuts to spec to make sure they are tight. If you have not done a valve adjustment recently, it is probably a good time for that too.