PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250es slips

david1079
04-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey guys im new to this forum and three wheelers. I just bought a 85 250es. It cranks and runs great but it feels like when you hard accelerate in 3,4, and 5th gears it feels like its slippin some and doesnt pick up speed real well. If you back off a little and ease into it it will accelerate pretty good. Any ideas, or is this normal.

aldochina
04-20-2010, 12:55 AM
any odd noises when this happens? could be several things i guess, If its just cutting out, or sputtering, could be a fuel/air problem, or an electrical issue.

kgrant
04-20-2010, 01:41 AM
I would start with adjusting the clutch. Loosen the locknut, turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until you feel resistance, then turn screw 1/4 turn clock wise and tighten locknut while holding the screw from turning. The adjustment is on the right case cover.

Whoops, just saw you have the 250, the adjustment I described is for the 200es, but maybe the 250 is the same!?

Cheers!!

david1079
04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
no spittin and sputtering, it revs great just kinda quits pullin . Then i notice today its hard to shift from reverse to neutral.

MudBug
04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Id say that a clutch adjustment would solve your problem, if not maybe the fibers are getting bad? :confused: I hope you find out what it is because mine does the same

david1079
04-21-2010, 07:05 AM
i will give that a try

cbx1170
04-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Adjust and play with shift lever actuated clutch first it is completely separate. Free play adjusted slot/nut etc play with it. loosen nut, turn flat slotted screw Full CCW to light tension then set it back clockwise 1/16 turn to 1/8 turn and lock. test ride reset as needed. THEN maybe your 2nd clutch CENTRIFUGAL needs attention. I am a semi-retired Registered Honda Tech (Taught at MMI) from 70's 80's 90's look for smelly oil and heat indications burnt smell etc. If memory serves me right you do have a centrifugal clutch. hard use / abuse / age can take these out or render them semi slippers more so at higher speeds / gears / resistances / loads / especially after implement useage like towing or blading. Right crankcase cover gasket, 3 shoes YES ? springs MAYBE ? (oil etc) and repair inside surface the "DRUM" or new drum (50/50 chance of saving it) will give you great results. Drum will have 3 "rings" (from OD of shoe design) burnt into it and visible on outside of drum as an indicator, no matter how much it has been used. 3 light rings means repair, 3 dark rings with much more heat staining on drum (darker brown/black color) means new OR really massage it good. abrasive flap wheel works wonders- not too crazy here. note that the large ?? DEEP 27mm ?? drum nut on crankshaft is a locking style prob is LEFT HAND THREAD. rather than fight torque wrench & tooling to hold parts simply index the exact nut location i/e nut to shaft to whatever BEFORE LOOSENING and retighten to same spot. if new nut you gotta know how to use your air impact gun at same pressures as loosening. you gotta "feel it". This is known as "CHEAT torquing". if you still feel slipping and centrifugal looks fine when opened up then its prob main clutch keep takin it apart to find prob. remember centrifugal has to engage BEFORE main clutch always ~1000 - 1300rpm. centrifugal gives you engine braking downhill -YOU definitely WANT THAT. Mike

cbx1170
04-22-2010, 03:51 AM
I meant to say centrifugal has to engage before main clutch can receive and then transfer power. main clutch can be locked up and ready to drive but centrtifugal has to work initially to start the process of power throughput . I love made up words. THEY BOTH GOTTA WOIK. Mike

benb1984
04-22-2010, 05:54 AM
my 87 big red dose the same thing and the clutch adjustment wont move.. its old and stripped and stuffed... its gonna have to be rebuilt completly one day but for wat i paid its a prefect bush basher even with its problems, and is still very ridable