PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r rear shock rebound problem

perrycyn
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I was admiring my beautiful ATC the other day and lifted the rear end, I noticed the shock seemed to extend very easy making a "clunk" at the top of its travel. The shock was suppose to be NOS, so I asumed it would work properly. The compression seems to work well and it isn't bouncy at all. Is this normal?:wondering

Dammit!
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Try adjusting the rebound damping. Little screw at the bottom near where it bolts up to the linkage.

Edit: and it's not supposed to be "bouncy" by the way. You can adjust the speed it rebounds but you don't want it to just pop back up with no resistance.

perrycyn
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I have adjusted the rebound screw all the way hard and it doesnt seem to make any difference. The shock seems to return without bouncing but when I push down and then pull up quickly to full extension it clunks at the top. My trx250r seems to have some damping when I pull up hard on the grab bar, and doesn't clunk at the top of the stroke, this bike doesn't. Any ideas what is wrong?

Dammit!
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
That clunk at the top is pretty typical. Old bushings and linkage. You probably have a little bit of play in there somewhere but it's very common. Unless it's real bad or you can actually see the play in your linkage or shock mounts when you move it up and down I wouldn't worry about it.

perrycyn
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think its bushings or anything like that cause everything is new, it just seems like when I pull up on the grab bar it doesn't have any damping and goes right to the end of its travel and clunks. It seems to be in the shock itself. I was thinking if it had better damping through the rebound the clunk would be less. I have another shock I'm going to try and see if it helps. If it is any better I will have to send the "NOS" shock for a rebuild. The bike does'nt get ridden anyway, but I want it right. Thanks for your help.

Dammit!
04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
My shock got a fresh rebuild and fresh bushings not long ago and I still have a mild clunk when i lift up on the grab bar. Not much of one but it's there.