PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Fork air pressure?

kristofrogers
04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
So my neighbor (who is an offroad maniac) came over to check out my Tecate yesterday. He was looking it over and goes, "oh hey check this out" he then unscrewed the caps on top of my forks and let some air out and the front end dropped down about 1-2 inches. He said that there shouldn't be much air pressure at all. Then he second guessed himself and said "theres not supposed to be air in there... unless they're gas shocks... ehhh you'll be finnnne." So, are they gas or hydraulic?? Anyone know?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/shablaca/Photo04161833_4.jpg

Grizzlypeg
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Isn't that the point of the schaeder valves, so you can add a couple of pounds of air pressure, if desired?

taiterator
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
The Tecate forks are air assisted hydraulics. The standard pressure is atmospheric pressure. Air or nitrogen can be added to suit your weight and riding style. Never exceed 36 Psi or you will most likely blow your seals.

kristofrogers
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks taiterator! Yea i was figuring i could refill them if i didn't like the feel. I was guessing it was a personal preference thing but i thought i'd check, thanks!

Xfile
04-20-2010, 03:49 AM
36 psi? that seems a bit high to me......most service manuals I have for my machines (honda and yamaha w/showa forks) say not to exceed 8 psi. I have never owner a tecate...but 36 psi seems excessive for any fork.

fabiodriven
04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
I could be mistaken here but I was under the impression that the valves were there only to release any air that may have built up in the forks, not for actually adding air. :confused:

Grizzlypeg
04-20-2010, 10:16 AM
The Honda 200x has factory schaeder valves, and while it says the normal condition is zero pressure, it does say you can add air to increase the spring rate of the forks. I've never found that any forks in good condition lost air or built up pressure, but who knows what could happen in some rare case. I drilled, tapped and installed air valves on my old RD400 and liked to have some pressure to increase the front fork spring rate, you got less dive while braking.

DixiePlowboy
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I could be mistaken here but I was under the impression that the valves were there only to release any air that may have built up in the forks, not for actually adding air. :confused:

The valves are indeed there to equalize air pressure in the fork with the air outside the fork....whether it's letting atmospheric air pressure in or letting extra residual trapped air out.

Somewhere I've read that if air was added that a bicycle pump was to be used and only a small amount(like a couple pounds) added.

Years ago here, someone and I got into an argument over this, so I usually keep my mouth shut and let folks find out the hard way what 20,30,or 90-psi can do to fork seals.

Grizz,
If air inside the fork(that I assume is not leaking) is equalized with the air pressure outside the fork in say....20-degree weather, the pressure will increase noticeably by the time it's equalized again if you wait until it's 98-degrees because hot air expands. Hence the need for off gassing.

Grizzlypeg
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Back to the original post, the question was whether or not the neighbour is correct when he says "there isn't supposed to be any air in there". ????????

DixiePlowboy
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
There will be air in there. Just not at great pressure.

kristofrogers
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Yea, thats what i was figuring. If its to stiff just release a little pressure and too squishy add a little. Sounds good!

Xfile
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Just pick up a shop manual for your machine....I have never read one yet that has not spelled out in black and white the following: 1: the factory setting 2: weather or not to ever add air 3: if you decide to add air...what the maximum pressure each leg can be set to. 4: if your forks are not intended to have air in them, how often to release built up pressure.....I don't see how there can be much of an argument on this topic, when shop manuals spell it right out in there pages. ( I'm not saying this particular thread is an argument....that was just for future reference)

RoscoW
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
tecate manual states that the std air pressure is Atmospheric Pressure (0 psi). Under special conditions however you can adjust the shocks to suit your preference as required by adding air a little at a time as reqired. Pressure to never exceed 36 psi or oil seal damage may result. Bottom of pg 11-8

Ross..

Xfile
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
There you have it....thanks Ross, 36 psi still sounds like an insane amount...even for a max pressure, but who am I to argue with kawasaki engineers,,,after all....they designed the thing,

scottp597
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
What does the manual say? Are they really hydraulic and not spring operated forks? On the Hondas the spring is what dampens all of the force so you use the valve stem to bleed off excess pressure to 0psi.

Xfile
04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
page 15...original 1984 atc 200x owners manual...."the front suspension uses air assisted front forks. The forks may be adjusted for the riders weight and riding conditions by adjusting the air pressure. Standard air pressure: 0 psi , A bicycle air pump may be used to increase pressure. To decrease pressure, depress the valve core. NOTE:use of more than 10psi is not recommended because fork action becomes very stiff"

The manual does not say anything about bleeding off excess pressure. However, if you wanted your forks to stay at 0psi....you would need to open the valve with temperature changes since air expands and contracts.

all OEM trike forks that I can think of are spring forks....a combination of fork valving and oil is what actually dampens the spring action.