PDA

View Full Version : exhaust issue

porkjr
04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
My exhaust is melting my plastic right where the silencer connects to the headpipe. I have two layers of header wrap over the pipe and it is still not helping. I think the exhuast is leaking right there and it is making it hotter than what it should be. Is there anything i can do to get the exhaust to stop leaking so it isn't so hot?

Mr_RPM
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
is it the stock exhaust? well to stop an exhaust leak it may require filling it in with a welder. it all depends. is the exhaust rusting apart? if so then you probably cant weld it. is it just falling apart because of loose bolts? bolt it back up. if it has a hole for whatever reason and its not from rust then maybe welding a patch. you can always try finding a used exhaust off ebay. also try heat tape on the fender, i had to do that with a DG pipe on an old yamaha warrior

Leadfoot71
04-18-2010, 10:53 PM
My '82 200e Big Red did the same thing...when it was new! I don't think it was well engineered from the factory. The heat issues on mine seemed to come from the very begining of the stock muffler. That part was closest to the plastics.

I now have NOS fenders on it so I am going to have the whole exhaust ceramic coated before it goes back on. I'll let everyone know how it does. It's not cheap but I've heard it works wonders.

porkjr
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
It is an all but new pipe, rust isn't the issue.

Leadfoot71
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Hows the tune? Is it rich or lean? Too lean might make the exhaust temps a bit higher than normal. Just a thought...

Also, I probably wouldn't allow it to sit and idle too long either. I'm sure some air flow over the machine would help keeps temps down too.