PDA

View Full Version : oil in air box

Lee772
04-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi my name is Lee. I have an 83 big red 200e and its been sittin in a shed for close to 12 years now. Today i was looking it over and noticed that there is oil in the air box where the air filter is located. I was wondering how this happens and how it is fixed. I would appreciate any inirmation that can be given about this problem. Thanks
-Lee

birddogg
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
The crankcase vent tube is vented into the airbox. It's perfectly normal to see some oil in there from time to time. Someone may have overfilled the oil, or the rings are letting some blow-by through forcing it in there through the tube. The most common cause would be a rollover, where the oil would exit the cases through the vent tube into your airbox.

It's nothing to worry about. As long as your trike is still running fine and the rings aren't totally shot I wouldn't worry about it.

birddogg
04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Kersey huh? I probably drive by your house every day. Does anyone ever ride on that track out along 948?

atc350xer
04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
could be oil from the air filter too... dripped off over the years maybe...

Lee772
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
i live on brown road on irish town road out past the baseball fields

birddogg
04-19-2010, 12:29 AM
GKN and Liberty Pressed Metals are daily stops on my route.

Lee772
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
yeah i almost get nailed by the cops that sit in LPM all the time. What exhaust do you think would be the best for the old big red?

birddogg
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
To be honest, I'd leave it stock. Loud pipes are the reason the cops are gunning for you. Some old bag with all the time in the world and nothing to do is just waiting for a loud bike to go by so she can save the neighborhood.

You need to be realistic here Lee. You're never gonna race that Big Red on a closed course. A high compression piston will add more snot to your ride than a pipe and won't piss off your neighbors. Plus when you sell it down the road you can advertise it with a fresh top end. Nothing scares sensible buyers away faster than loud pipes.

Lee772
04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
good point. I ment n my car about the cops but either way it sucks. Yeah I would totally buy one of those high compression pistons if I had the money.