PDA

View Full Version : big red carb again?

yater
08-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm about to pull the carb apart AGAIN on my 200es. I just can't get it right.--When I let off throttle, she stays at high rev for a few seconds before returning to idle.--Idles like new--This gets dangerous because when I want to stop, the trike doesn't come off throttle for a few seconds.--needle valve looks ok (no ring around the rubber but who knows?)--When I choke it, the idle drops down--could the choke be stuck or something?

jeswinehart
08-30-2003, 05:55 PM
dog gone it,,,, i have got to get my manual back from my freind !
yater,,, you have a shop manual on your 84 bigred ??? if not i'll scan you off some of the info about your carb. i am for sure gonna get my book back sunday !

john

yater
08-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I wish I did--I've learned everything so far from this sight--I've learned to live with the red the way it is but I hate to shift it while it's reving (doesn't seem like that would be good for it)

jeswinehart
08-30-2003, 06:23 PM
i'll go out and get my manual here in a short,,, i ain't waiting for tomorrow.
there will be some carb info for ya by dark.
i just got my brake cables figured out ! i thought the things were stretched but after riding last week i finally figured out i didn't have them adujusted right,,, go figure. nice having the levers to brake !
okay, gotta call my friend + get the manual.

john

Dave
08-30-2003, 10:41 PM
yater...

The 1st thing I would look at before taking your carb apart is to be sure that the clyinder(cant think of proper name) at the end of the throttle cable is operating properly(not hanging up). Also be sure the spring is centered properly and not binding. One other thing to look at is on the top of the *cap* that your throttle cable screws into at the carb. My cable managed to unscrew itself once and caused very similar problems to what you have.. for about a week THEN it unscrewed itself all the way out and I was stuck at what seemed to be about 1/2 throttle...

The only other thing I can think of offhand is the rubber boot your carb mounts to might have a crack in it... but your motor will usually only race when your in neutral and reving it... slowly falling back to idle speed. Under load(in gear) I have never encountered the effect being that dramatic.

yater
08-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks Dave--I've taken this carb apart about 300 times. I haven't REALLY checked the carb boot because it doesn't rev at idle (once it's warm)--The needle and throttle cable are secure--Somebody said they had a problem with the choke and I've checked everything up to where it actually enters the carb. I'll have to tear it down again and check that. Other than that, this thing is a beast!

jeswinehart
08-30-2003, 10:56 PM
info

yater
08-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks--what manual is that? Could my needle position affect fuel flow at mid throttle?

jeswinehart
08-31-2003, 05:58 AM
gonna redo that info,,, wasn't very good first time.