PDA

View Full Version : 84 honda 200es running problem....... would LOVE to have some help/suggestions!!!!!

r2b253
04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Greetings All !!!
I am a new memeber and naturally I have a problem I could sure use some help /suggestions with. I have an 84 honda 200es. it was flooding out the spark plug about every 10 minutes so I bought a carb kit and installed it. I also checked and adjusted the vavles. I was told that to adjust the valves intake open adjust exhaust .002 and then reverse it for the intake. I did that. so here is the problem ...
bike starts up and idles fine... when I give it gas it acts almost as if it is spark knocking.... wont rev up to higher rpms smoothly (yes I am reving it slowly). I set the screw at 1 5/8 turn which I understand is supposed to be a good starting point.
ANY help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!
Thank you !!
Randy

daniel_250r
04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
air filter clean? ignition timing dead on?

sbjones73
04-18-2010, 01:16 AM
sounds pretty much like what i ran into on my father in laws. it ended up being that the exhaust was fully plugged at the muffler. removed and it ran like a champ!!!!!!! made up a new one out of another 4 wheeler muffler. you can't even tell it has been changed. !!!!!!!

good luck

r2b253
04-18-2010, 06:40 AM
the 200es was running pretty well other than the carb problem before I rebuilt it. I have checked and rechecked the valves. Are there any "tricks" to getting the valve adjustment correct? I think that may be the problem. The air filter is clean and timing is correct. muffler seems to be in good shape and not clogged up.
any other suggestions?
Thank you all again for your help/suggestions!

MonroeMike
04-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Valve adjustment starts on page 3-5.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/Honda%20200ES%20Big%20Red%201984%20CD.pdf

TeamGeek6
04-18-2010, 11:27 AM
motorcycle valves are usually 003-006 ish. May have a valve hanging open when its running? The Hondas Ive worked on lose valve clearance as the engine gets hotter.

r2b253
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you monroe mike for the link ! I was not aware of the timing mark . So I pulled the plug the valve covers and the timing plug and have been rotating the engine by the pull cord to try and locate the "T" mark. I have pulled and looked and pulled and looked but there is some kind of wear on the rotor and I cannot see the "T" at all so that I can try and adjust the valves correctly.
I hope that someone can tell me possibly another way to locate either the "T" since I cannot see it anywhere or possibly another way to find TDC so that I can adjust them correctly. I have looked at the manual in the link that was so kindly given but I saw nothing in there .
Can anyone help please??
Thank you !!!! :D