PDA

View Full Version : liquid R gussets

willrideanythin
04-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I picked up an 86 frame for my upcoming 500R build. It has some damage to cradledue to some cracks, But that will be removed. I have a couple other minor damage spots that need some attention and Im going to have some gussets made. I dont have the tools to do it and I have a hook up. My guestion is where. this is my first R of any year so Id like to know the problem areas.

Im doing behind the pegs, and back of the sub frame. Where else? Chime in Billy as you will be the one doing the conversion.

Billy Golightly
04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
I like to actually run a gusset in front of the foot peg mounts, and blend back into the cradle. A piece of round tubing sort of pie cut. You can do some corner gussets of the subframe and around where the seat mounts. On the 500s I do some additional corner gusseting at the cross bar for the bottom motor mount, and back where I replace the shock linkage tube, but that stuff doesn't really apply to a stock 250R. Honestly beyond that, I don't think there is a whole lot of need to do more.

willrideanythin
04-17-2010, 06:01 PM
the factory "gussets" behind the pegs is where my issues are. Also where the sub frame hits the main frame. Do you run the stock sub frame, I noticed Sykos is diff then most. Thanks Billy

Billy Golightly
04-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Yup, every other one I've done (Including mine) is stock subframe. Alan's was already extended by him longer than stock (More room) and he wanted a low profile subframe design sorta like the YFZ 450s have. There wasn't a functional need for it to be that way.

The gusseting I think is something that is a lot of personal preference and opinion. Jason does A LOT on the frames he works on using plate. I try and take a more minimalist approach and use sectioned and corner cut pieces of round tubing in places that I think need it.

willrideanythin
04-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Great, Sounds like my frame will have alot of plate and your tube gussets. PM me a price for the gussets (mine) installed on top of you typical frame job. Ill keep it in mind compared to my other welders quote.

Tecate250
04-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Can anyone show some pics of where to gusset them? Both my 250r frames were broken up front in the 2 tubes turn into one. And id like to renforce the frame where i can to help hold it together.