PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z 250 Front End on a 225DX Anyone???

3WheelinMan
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM
This is my first post on your awesome site so be nice... :D
I've seen a few Honda 250SX front end swaps with 200X forks and triple trees that totally change the look and handling for the better and was just wondering if anyone has done a similar fork swap with a Tri-Z250 onto a 225DX? The extra shock travel would certainly be nice not to mention having hydraulic brakes and the dual headlights... will those dual headlights mount to the original 225DX forks too by any chance? Any insight or pics would be much appreciated!

the great gazoo
04-16-2010, 06:16 PM
VealMonkey did a Tri-Z front end on a BW200, the rake looks kinda like a chopper to me, a little too much tilt, but the bike rides. All you can do is try, right? I think it'd be cool as hell. I've seen a 200X front on a DX before, not sure what it entailed w/ the steering stops, but it looked great!

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
pm louis mielke, he got a from clip from me and i think did this.

Xfile
04-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Trying to combine a high tech, long travel (for the year) front suspension with a simple "gets the job done, but designed to stay low to the ground" rear suspension just never seemed like a good combo to me. I would make sure the fork seals on your original forks are good and maybe play with fork oil level and weight a bit....you may also be able to put some spacers on top of the fork spring to increase the spring rate a bit....this will reduce fork dive and give a more firm ride. With the addition of heavier oil it may work pretty well. In the end i think it would make a better balanced and handling trike...just MO.

3WheelinMan
04-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Xfile,
Don't know if you've looked at one of the "simple, gets the job done" shocks on the back of a 225DX recently but I for one, was really surprised at how long it was! That's what all the girls say anyway!!!! LOL!!!
Seriously though, it's really beefy and well sprung for not being nitrogen charged like say one from a Tri-Z or 200X shock. When I bought it, I didn't even realize that it was half as long as it is... figured it would be roughly like the one on my 250SX but it's actually way longer, by 5 or 6 inches probably. Travel is probably about the same on both though.
As far as the front end goes, not really having many complaints about handling or damping action but want to do it mainly for cosmetic reasons unless, of course it ends up looking totally rediculous or stands way too tall. The 225DX seems to have more ground clearance than my 250SX and I have some big Trail Pro (aka Wooly Boogers) on the rear so a couple more inches up front wouldn't throw the balance off much but then again the thing is kind of a wheelie machine already! Still kind of on the fence on this but would like to see pics of one modded like this before I commit myself to this project... may just try sticking a pair of the Tri-Z headlights on it instead to at least change the look of it a little. I may even strip this one down to the frame to make it red like the newer ones with the white plastics along with a red seat cover and fork boots to match! We'll see I guess, just examining the possibilities for now!

Xfile
04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I have owned a few DX's and am not dog'n' them at all....I just meant in comparison to the TRI-Z rear suspension, the DX has a basic rear suspension that was designed for basic use, meaning basic trail riding. I does work well for it's intended purpose. Give the Tri-z front end a try...who knows it might work well. It seems a lot of mods like that make a chopper looking trike or you have to slide the fork tubes so far down in the triples you don't see much of a suspension travel advantage anyway. We all know a DX is a wheelie king in stock form (like you said) so it may get really light up front with longer forks.... If nothing else...with a little fab work you may be able to get the headlight and front fender from the Z to fit your stock dx front end.

Pete81
09-19-2010, 04:01 AM
im doin that mod right now. imy neighbor had a tri z frame and forks sittin at his place i got for nothing. figured what the hell. come across a little machine work, but by brother is a machinest so its free. basically have to cut a few threads down on the strem and build a spacer. i mocked it up and it looks killer. also put some wheel spacers on the back he built for me. i think its gonna handle abit better. oh, i also put the tri z hubs, wheels and tires on it. i post some pics when it is all done.

portland250r
09-19-2010, 04:28 AM
my only problem would be the motor it wouldnt be able to back up the fast look of the front end.
but im not against it go for it.