PDA

View Full Version : ATC110 project oxidation inside

atc90
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi i just baught a 1979 110 for 50 bucks it wasnt running but it has good compression so i cleaned out the carburator really good,now i just changed the oil and the oi that came out of there was kinda thick and green? anyone have an idea why would it look like a greenish\brownish looking color and also kinda thick? so im draining that stuff out as im writing this also when i took off the manifold i noticed that there is oxidatadion inside where the manifold attaches the head i think im not very mechanically savy but im learning anyways yeah theres some orange stuff in there is that really bad? what could it be? i do have a spark and again my neighbor check it out and it has good compression i tookn a pic of the orange stuff check it out thanks everyone

harryredtrike
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
clean the motor with gas,[inside the motor].put gas in instead of oil,and pull the stater a few times.plug off of coarse.make sure the inside is clean before put in your good oil and running it.all oxcidation that you see on critical parts should be cleaned.make sure tank is clean,carb is clean,real clean and bottom end is clean before trying to run it.

200XMichigan
04-16-2010, 03:39 PM
This is also a great time for the cheapest 10W40 you can find. Change the oil every time you start it or ride it for a while. Eventually you will notice it doesn't look contaminated so quickly. Then switch to wet clutch grade oil.

There is an oil screen when you pull of one of the side covers. You should clean that too. But you'll probably have to get a new gasket for that side. If you are careful you might be able to separate it and reuse the gasket, if just for temporary to hear it run.

rdlsz24
04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
It's possible it sat outside and some water got into the motor and that could be some rusty crap. It's a Honda though so it's tough and will probably still run as long as the carb isn't completely gummed up. If you don't have spark do yourself a favor and change the points even if they look ok. I wasted so much time on my 79 110 trying to get spark. The points looked fine so I didn't suspect them but on the advice of shortline I changed them out and that fixed my problem.

Rob

atc90
04-16-2010, 03:56 PM
OK thanks everyone for your help.

Vealmonkey
04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Rust in the top end and swampwater in the lower end. It may have been in the water or a flood at one time. Good luck.