PDA

View Full Version : two 84's

groundfly
08-30-2003, 01:19 PM
just got home from picking up an 84 yamaha ytm 225dx, and a 84 honda atc 250 sx. The honda need's a breather box? from under the seat..it's gone completely, and the inside of the honda's gas tank is pretty rusted. Any suggestions or products to use for this problem. The yamaha is in great shape, the seat is like new, it's shaft driven, don't know how to feel about that yet. will try to post pic's but i need to get me a camera. so now in 2 days i own 3 trike's, oh happy day :-D

350Xccelerator
08-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Good luck man both are very fun reliable machines

kdagenais
08-30-2003, 03:21 PM
As far as the Honda's gas tank is concerned you can use the Kreem gas tank treatment and should do a pertty good job on cleaning up the rust.
This is a three part kit and starts with chemicals to clean the rust then chemical to dry out the water that you put in the tank during cleaning and then it has a protective coating to keep it from rusting again. Your other option is to get a new plastic tank which is around $250 which you can usually find on ebay.
Good Luck!

groundfly
08-30-2003, 06:28 PM
thanks guy's, but i need some help now, The honda won't start, spark plug has spark. I don't think the carb's getting any gas but the lines are not clogged. The throttle cable that run's down in the side of the carb seem's weak, like maybe that spring is weak and won't pull the lever back down after you push on the gas. Can't figure out this carb. (dont have a manuel yet)...also the kick start seem's weird, (also my first 4-stroke),some times i kick and it's like nothing and i hear like a gear spinning, like bzzzzzzzz. then if i feel it out it catches and has compression and i can get a decent kick, but no loud good engine sound, just a faint brbrbr. Is this just TDC effect happening or what. Any info. on this machine will be great. Also, i have no battery in it, will it run without one??? :oops:

kdagenais
08-30-2003, 11:11 PM
As far as the carb is concerned I would take it off the bike and take it apart and clean it up cause sounds like this bike has been sitting awhile. As far as the kickstarter is concerned if I understand correctly it does not grab sometimes. If that is the case sounds like your one way clutch is bad. I would replace that before you go any further cause if it is bad it will break your starter gears and the remains will fall into your stator and tear it up and then your charging system will not function. I just went through this on my bike and was quite costly. See my post for furhter details listed as 1985 Honda 250SX Starter Trouble.

Timbo1
08-31-2003, 12:44 AM
I have an sx with the same exact problems :oops: , I have a battery though and I ride mine everyday, the starter gears will eventually brake like kdagenais says. When I try to crank mine after a day or two I have to hold down the start button and pump the gas like 20 times, before it cranks up and I give it just a hair of gas till the engine gets louder then its good to go.. just my 3 cents :-D

200x Basket
08-31-2003, 01:28 AM
I have an sx with the same exact problems :oops: , I have a battery though and I ride mine everyday, the starter gears will eventually brake like kdagenais says. When I try to crank mine after a day or two I have to hold down the start button and pump the gas like 20 times, before it cranks up and I give it just a hair of gas till the engine gets louder then its good to go.. just my 3 cents :-D

why not fix it now?

groundfly
08-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks alot kdagenais, i went through and read your old post's, sounds like my problem exactly. Now i know where to start too. As far as the carb, I'v already removed it an cleaned it, still no gas getting to the bowl. I'm just gonna by an overhaul kit..15.00$$, But this one way clutch is definantly my problem. again thanks alot.

Howdy
08-31-2003, 01:46 PM
just got home from picking up an 84 yamaha ytm 225dx, and a 84 honda atc 250 sx. The honda need's a breather box? from under the seat..it's gone completely, and the inside of the honda's gas tank is pretty rusted. Any suggestions or products to use for this problem. The yamaha is in great shape, the seat is like new, it's shaft driven, don't know how to feel about that yet. will try to post pic's but i need to get me a camera. so now in 2 days i own 3 trike's, oh happy day :-D

If you have a 84 250sx you have a very rare machine. They were not sold until 1985. hehe ;) Any way, You have 2 good machines there. Once fixed up they should give you many years of pleasure. ;)
On the 250sx, I should have a air box if you need one ( reasonably priced ).
Thanks
Howdy

groundfly
08-31-2003, 02:40 PM
yeah, it's an 85 :oops: ..thanks but i found the airbox in a box of parts for the yamaha??..But I hooked a battery up to the honda just to see if i would turn, nothing..dead nothing. I checked the wires from the headlight to the battery box. There in bad shape, and every little box inbetwwen too. Any one have any idea on the price to rewire and replace it all.??? sorry to keep posting question but i'm eager to get this trike going.

kdagenais
08-31-2003, 02:57 PM
As far as the wiring harness is concerned if it is that bad you can find them on ebay there are two listed as we speak. One has a staring bid of $4.00 and the other is $0.99. Or post on this web site I am sure somebody has one. I have a voltage regulator if you need it but I doubt you do.

groundfly
08-31-2003, 04:31 PM
ok thanks, and i may take that voltage regulator anyway, what are you asking to buy and ship??

kdagenais
08-31-2003, 05:29 PM
I just PM you about the voltage regulator. Let me know when you get a chance.
Thank You,