PDA

View Full Version : 185s Fouling Plugs after rebuild and bogs/kills on full throttle

CrkdLtr
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Recently had the 185s motor machined .040" over and matched to piston & rings. Also had the head reworked. new valves added, the valve seats reworked and replaced valve guide seals.

I ran into a bunch of problems with weak and intermittent spark which I've finally traced back to the CDI after replacing everything else in between. (New stator, new ignition coil and new pulse coil). Seems the motor will kill and won't spark trying to restart. If I unplug the CDI and plug it back in it starts and runs again. So that's problem's identified.

I'm fairly confident that when I put everything back together torqued everything per the manual, reinstalled the o-rings where they were needed, I offset the ring gaps per the manual and left a little oil (1 or 2 tablespoons) in the top of combustion chamber. Yet after idling the motor or running it a little I check the spark plugs and they come out with black soot on them.

It's been started and idled (heat cycled) a total of maybe 3 hours. I've not gotten a chance to ride it yet due to the intermittent spark and plug fouling. In addition to the plug fouling while idling or driving if I try to jump the throttle from idle to full throttle quickly it has a tendency to bog and kill unless I let go. I've played with the carburetor multiple times setting the clip on the needle to the second position (adjusted the pilot jet all the way clock wise and it was still idling correctly) then I put it on the 3rd clip, turned it out 2 1/4 turn and was able to get it to stutter adjusting it clockwise. My thought was it was running rich which is why it was dying under quick throttle bursts. It still has that problem even after adjusting the pilot. The carburetor has been rebuilt, cleaned and has the stock jet from the rebuild kit and it worked well before I rebuilt the motor.

I'm stumped and have more money into it than it's really worth :crazy: :D

The only test I haven't be able to complete yet is a compression test and leak down test. I'm lacking the adapter to fit this motor's sparkplug hole.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? I thought maybe the gas I'm using could be causing the issues with the bogging (87 octane with 10% ethanol) but I'm just not sure.