PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft key slot wore out - need help

hondaATCman
08-30-2003, 10:41 AM
My 110's crankshaft key slot is wore out, when my key sheared it warped the sides out. I ordered the factory key for it and when I put it in I am going to put JB Weld around the sides to fill in the gaps that have been wallored out. Then I'm going to let it set up overnight, put the flywheel back on and put a little tack of weld on the shaft. Hopefully this will keep it from moving. Any other suggestions?? Thanks

Dirtcrasher
08-30-2003, 12:22 PM
My 110's crankshaft key slot is wore out, when my key sheared it warped the sides out. I ordered the factory key for it and when I put it in I am going to put JB Weld around the sides to fill in the gaps that have been wallored out. Then I'm going to let it set up overnight, put the flywheel back on and put a little tack of weld on the shaft. Hopefully this will keep it from moving. Any other suggestions?? Thanks

Sounds good to me as long as it lines up and stays there for timing purposes - I hear great thing about JB WELD - But I must say I've run it to some real bad bearings and worn shafts and CYLINDRICAL LOCTITE - NOT THREADLOCKER - takes up huge gaps and works great - a small amount of heat is necessary to remove it. Maybe you can JB WELD to take up some of the keyway worn area on the shaft and loctite the shaft to the flywheel inside diameter. I wouldn't reccomend it if I had not seen it work dozens of time. And just remember to get everything spotless and free of grease and or oil from your fingers. I'll assume the crank is hardend and unless it's a special rod that weld may not help in holding too much - are the threads still useable??

jenndnn3
08-30-2003, 01:27 PM
I had the almost the same problem on my 70....On mine it would slide as the flywheel was being pushed on Causing flywheel to not be fully mounted....I actually looked at Jb weld...asked about it ( I actually see no reason why it couldnt be used)....and finally went with silicone ( Hubby said too). The reason, To hold the key in long enough to slide flywheel on. Once Flywheel was on it held it all in place. And if I need to remove the key for any reason, I can. I had this setup for A little over a month, No problems. And I drove the crud the first week to see if the Flywheel would come off.

Now On mine someone machined the slot Which is way bigger then my key....then machined the craziest of keys ...So I had no options of just replaceing the key...

The only thing is make it so if you need to you can remove the flywheel..

200x Basket
08-30-2003, 08:40 PM
on my 2nd 250r my key way was broken :shock: i just used a mig welder to run a couple off beads to build the area bach up and then i machined it out with my dremel. sounds crazy but i beat the wholly hell out of that engine and the crank still looks great. i am selling out of my 250r stuff right now and thought about listing it on ebay. LOL, but i guess it will end up in file 13

hondaATCman
08-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Dirtcrasher - The threads are still very useable and I can slide the flywheel on and off very easy. I am going to check on that Cylindrical Loctite but doo you think it would come off too easy??

a small amount of heat is necessary to remove it

I know the crank/flywheel get very hot when running so I wasn't sure if this is too much heat for that stuff or not. Do you know exactly what temp. is needed to remove it. Thanks

Dirtcrasher
08-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Dirtcrasher - The threads are still very useable and I can slide the flywheel on and off very easy. I am going to check on that Cylindrical Loctite but doo you think it would come off too easy??

a small amount of heat is necessary to remove it

I know the crank/flywheel get very hot when running so I wasn't sure if this is too much heat for that stuff or not. Do you know exactly what temp. is needed to remove it. Thanks

No - you need a propane torch to to heat it up a bit - happens quickly and then it just pops off as usual - not enough heat to damage your trike motor either. I seriously have used this stuff on high speed machinery with shafts that spin fast with large loads on them and the stuff holds the diameter solid. I put it on just about shaft I know is sloppy or loose or might wear out alot. I wouls still makeshift a key in there - I liked your JB weld and then getting a key back in there idea.