PDA

View Full Version : New to 3WW and New Yamaha 225

zawamj
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey all, I'm new to 3WW as a member and I have a new Yamaha 225 DX. I am a member over at 3wheeler.org and wanted to join here as well. Anyway, this is the new ordeal I am in:

"I just traded one of my 200s's for a Yamaha 225. It ran last night before I took it home. It ran, I drove it, and the front and rear lights both worked. I parked it last night and started working on it today. Prior to working on it I tried to start it and nothing. I combined two carbs (I also got a box with tons of extra parts) to make one good carb and still nothing. I checked for spark and its good. I don't know why it won't even pop now. Sprayed starting fluid and nothing. I am really confused. Oddly enough, the lights no longer work either, and I was pretty sure that they would work strictly off the battery. Any suggestions would be great at this point.

One more thing, if I choke the intake with my hand it spits every bit of gas on my hand. It doesn't try to intake any fuel at that point.

Besides this minor no running all of a sudden problem the bike is in pretty good shape. I am really excited about riding on a fully suspended bike. Oh, if anyone knows how to get paint off of fenders that would be great as well. The guy's nephew spray painted the fenders."

Sorry it's so long, I just copied it from 3wheeler.org.

zawamj
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Anybody have any ideas?

p26575r16
04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
I had two of those and loved them both. As far as the lights go, I would say you have a wiring issue somewhere. I would start by checking all of the switch/module connectors and make sure they are tight and don't have corrosion in them. Also check all of your ground connections. Make sure the battery bolts are tight as well. The no fuel thing tells me you may have the float set incorrectly. If it is set too low it won't allow fuel to fill the bowl high enough. Other than thay you may have clogged jets or a plugged fuel filter.

zawamj
04-19-2010, 01:52 AM
We got the bike running. What we did was... nothing. It popped on some starting fluid and fired off. It doesn't make any odd noises when it runs except for some sputtering. The lights are working when on high beams. After it has been run the battery is dead. I am seriously confused. It also smokes indicating it needs rings. On this bike are the lights supposed to work without the engine running?

zawamj
04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
There is a good chance the float is set incorrectly. Upon disassembling the first I found that the previous owner had installed the float upside down. I know what you are saying, but I mean upside down. The stop tab was bent in and the float was installed upside down. The other problem with that carb was that the fuel inlet was actually a vacuum hose coupler. The other carb had the original inlet on it but other parts were missing. I took the two and chose the best parts from both and made one semi-good carb. The spring for the pilot screw is messed up and stuck in the carb, but that's not going to cause these problems. Anyway, moral of the story is I took the non messed up float and put it in the carb.

Oh, jets have been cleaned and I have a new fuel filter.