PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my 185 blowing smoke

atctim
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey guys,

Gotta get this fixed soon - my 185s is blowing grey-ish smoke when it runs. It is blowing alot of it too! It runs fine - and it is not burned oil smoke so I am ruling out bad rings right off the bat - it smells like unburned fuel and it will not stop. It smells like a machine running really rich - but the smoke is way heavier than any "fat running" machine I have ever seen.

What would cause this?

I want to remove the entire exhaust system and see if there is fuel in there or something but wanted some opinions from you guys first of where to start.

Thanks!

oldskool83
04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
are you sure your not burning oil? my old cylinder was worn towards the front and when it was TDC it was blowing oil past since it was egging the cylinder. i would do some spot checking on the motor.

only other idea maybe to drain all the fuel out of it, somone could of dumped a lot of carb cleaner into the gas and i know when you run that thru it will cause smoke, i did it on my old carbed sportbike once, it cleared up once i ran all that fuel out.

atctim
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I am 100% positive it is not oil burning - it just does not have that "burnt oil" smell. That is great thinking oldskool83! I will drain the tank and put new gas in there. It has the gas in the tank that it had when I bought it - who knows what might be in there honestly!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion - it will be the first thing I try when I get home!

beets442
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Bad intake valve or seal? Hows the compression?

rdlsz24
04-14-2010, 10:06 AM
It could def be some nasty old crap in your muffler. I rebuilt my 200x and it still blows smoke from the muffler because it was ran before with a broken piston and there is lots of goo in there.

Rob