PDA

View Full Version : Question about the KLT.... Is this even the right section to ask under? LOL

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 01:43 AM
I have had a KLT for around a year now and just recently found out that it was a KLT. I have no idea what the year is and what the cc is. Is there any easy way to figure it out?

Two pics i saw were of an 84 200 and an 85 160 and mine looks like a combo of both. LOL

Some of the things that i can tell you about mine is..... On-Off button on left HB. Pull start left. Rear brakes left. Front brakes right. Rectangle headlight. Front fender has louvers on the backside. It is a gear drive not chain.

Ok. If someone could tell me what type of trike i have that would be awesome. More importantly than that though is i am wondering if anyone would possible know if the front fenders on those are universal. I cant find anything that says yes or no. I like the louvered one i have but its destroyed and i modded a piece of sheet metal to it for now. Aside from that i want it to be a little more quiet and a little more powerful.

For the power and the noise any of you should know a couple tricks that a greenhorn like me would have no idea about.

I would appreciate any help and thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me. :)

dcreel
04-13-2010, 05:39 AM
The motor should have a casting on it for how big it is. The year should be on a tag on the steering neck opposite the side where the vin is. If not youwill have to decode the vin. Does it have a manual clutch or an adjustable differential in the rear?

CRAZY70MAN
04-13-2010, 05:56 AM
klt160 fuealtank is gravity "on top of bike". 160 has reverse, front suspension and shaft drive. Good luck.......160 was made only in 1985 if it is one.

harryredtrike
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
the engine cc rating is on the bottom part of the jug casted into the cylinder

MonroeMike
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome.

Shaft drive = KLT160 or 185

Put the VIN in here.

http://decodemyvin.webs.com/

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
It has reverse, i guess i should have added that part. It does not have a manual clutch you just shift. All the way up is N then down for 1-5. All the way up then you push the red button is for R.

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
The motor should have a casting on it for how big it is. The year should be on a tag on the steering neck opposite the side where the vin is. If not youwill have to decode the vin. Does it have a manual clutch or an adjustable differential in the rear?

What exactly is the "adjustable differential" in the rear? Can you adjust how much low end you have or top end?

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
OK, thank you guys so much especially for the vin decoder. It is an 85 KLT 160.

From what i have seen and read this is a popular model. Is it a good one though? Can you do anything with the power? And how can you make it a little quieter? I drive it all over the place here and some of the neighbors are @ssholes.

CRAZY70MAN
04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
OK, thank you guys so much especially for the vin decoder. It is an 85 KLT 160.

From what i have seen and read this is a popular model. Is it a good one though? Can you do anything with the power? And how can you make it a little quieter? I drive it all over the place here and some of the neighbors are @ssholes. Really one of my favorites to ride out of a couple dozen trikes :naughty::naughty: Sounds like you need exhaust work, stock is very quiet. I love the easy reverse and she really skates on top the mud, even with bald tires. Awesome trike for trails and tight places......no hill monster but none the less a great time!! Enjoy.....I need new tires on mine and some slight carb tuning and she is complete...... Just stuck a NOS rear rack on for hauling the mail..lol I mean beer:lol::lol: http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/th_PC250018.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo321/andyatc70/?action=view&current=PC250018.jpg)

fabiodriven
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM
What exactly is the "adjustable differential" in the rear? Can you adjust how much low end you have or top end?

He meant "locking differential". It's so you can unlock the rear tires from each other.

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
CRAZY70MAN, i really like mine. Im glad to see that someone that has a lot of different trikes thinks its a good one. :)

I am not sure how much it helped or not (i really think it did, could be my imagination though) is i cut the side of the air filter box and made a "ram air" type of system for it. It seems to be moving faster and accelerate better.

Is there any type of bolt ons or anything to make it faster?

3wheelmecca
04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
It would wake up with a big bore kit, I would look for one for a 200, then just do a little machining and you got a peppy little trike. They might make one, I only had the 250 and it was sitting most of the time.

nolovie4smith
04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
3wheelmecca, i love the quote under your name. Made me laugh.

Is there a specific site that you could get a complete kit at? I just checked eBay and didnt find anything, i just may not have looked for the right thing though.

What all would i need to up it from the 160 to the 200? And would the rear end/tranny take the extra power?