PDA

View Full Version : Which way does the seal go in?? 83 big red, seal behind the recoil, leak

kgrant
04-13-2010, 12:43 AM
First of all, HI! Great site! TONS of great information, I've been up late reading here every night the last week! I grew up riding an 84 Big Red

I have an 83 Big Red I got for free, lady wanted it out of her yard or it was going to the dump! I've been slowly fixing it up. It really didn't need anything except a front tire and the rust cleaned from the fuel tank.

Recently the seal behind the recoil started leaking. I have one on order to replace it. My question is, which way does the seal press in? The old one has the spring facing out, but every seal I've ever installed (mostly axle seals) had the spring facing in towards the oil.

Anyone know for sure which way the seal is suppose to be installed?

Thanks!

tri again
04-13-2010, 01:41 AM
pretty sure you answered your own question.
The spring wants to be on the inside/ pressure side so that it tightens under pressure.

parts diagrams are almost better than repair manuals and both can be found on this site, not exactly sure where tho.

congrats on the new trike.

If you've got spark and a few minutes to clean out the carb it will run forever (again)

TeamGeek6
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
make sure to polish the shaft where the old seal contacted it and/or install the new seal just a hair offset so the new seal has a clean place to run. OIl the seal lips before installing, they have to have lube to not be damaged.

Seals themselves dont usually care "which way." The spring should be IN on the clean side so it doesnt catch debris or get knocked loose,. (inside the case etc)

kgrant
04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know 100% but I beleive the seal is the original seal, so maybe it was installed that way from the factory. I did some searching online and other engine seals are installed with the spring facing out, and those guys thought they were backwards too. I found the seal had a crack and a tear on the sealing lip, probably from starting it at -20 (that's when it started leaking was after that start). It wasn't leaking a drop before that.

So maybe backwards is correct? :crazy:

Cheers :beer

oscarmayer
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
should be with the spring to the oil. if not what happens the spring rusts and weakens, then you get oil leaks like your dealing with now!

kgrant
04-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Well the seal came in today, I put it in like every other seal I've put in, and the way you guys all said it should.

Thanks for the replys

MonroeMike
04-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Welcome to 3 Wheeler World.