PDA

View Full Version : LAST horse for the stable!

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
I mean it... NO MORE! In the past 2 months, I have added 6 trikes to my garage(4 mine, 2 my brother's). So, here we have a roughed up 1987 250SX... needs love, but it's all here! I'll have alot if questions, I know nothing about these machines. $250 + some HO trains... how'd I do? I have a crack to repair on the swingarm, some brake work, need a starter solenoid, and the kicker shaft doesn't engage... and plastics, of course.

mopar_man
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
It needs some love for sure but for an '87, I think you did OK. What are you plans? Restore? Nice rider? Fix what it needs and ride as-is?

atctim
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
you got a nice 250SX there Matt. I have a solenoid for it - I can send it out in tomorrow's mail if you would like!

the kicker slipping is an all together much bigger problem. I'll PM you about it later tonight. You can do some research on it - maybe you already have - there is tons of info about the "sprag Clutch" in the 250SX / ES on the site.

dirtface
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
First off this will not be your last trike, trust me I know. I said I bought my last one about 30 trikes ago. The kicker problem, Tim is right it is a big job to fix it. Just get the electric start to work and be happy with that. Other than that It looks like you picked up a decent SX there. I have two here for parts if you need anything, just give me a yell.

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
You guys are awesome... Tim, yes, please! Let me know what I owe ya... if I can get this thing reliable in the next 2 weeks, this is what I'm bringing with me for the ride :)
My 3fiddy motor still isn't done :(

PS why does the tire rub the muffler? is this common?
PSS Tim, want me to give you a call later and save you from typer's cramp?

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
It needs some love for sure but for an '87, I think you did OK. What are you plans? Restore? Nice rider? Fix what it needs and ride as-is?

fix it up DECENT and ride it... I'm not into restoring yet... just making them reliable and fun riders

dirtface
04-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Those look like wider tires, that's probably why they rub. The stock size really isn't to far from it. I should be at Tim's in a couple weeks for the ride too. If you need anything I can bring it along. Let me know.

BIGREDGUY
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
"last".... you say that now...

mopar_man
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
PS why does the tire rub the muffler? is this common?

What size are the tires? 22x11-8 is stock.

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
anyone care to explain this? I am at a loss... someone did something funky to it. I have a BR hub I can replace it with, but why would someone chew out the aluminum casting, and what did they do to move the wheel in an inch and a half or so? The 5th pic from the left is the good BR hub.

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Those look like wider tires, that's probably why they rub. The stock size really isn't to far from it. I should be at Tim's in a couple weeks for the ride too. If you need anything I can bring it along. Let me know.

I think I'll be shooting you a PM man... lol... I know I'm going to need stuff :(
Maybe I could drag it up there and compare to see what I'm missing? lol

UncleBubbles
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
anyone care to explain this? I am at a loss... someone did something funky to it. I have a BR hub I can replace it with, but why would someone chew out the aluminum casting, and what did they do to move the wheel in an inch and a half or so? The 5th pic from the left is the good BR hub.

i remember when the hub went out my 250es i tried to swap out the entire inner axle from a parts 250sx, and one of the the axles was about an inch and a half shorter, but i just cant remember which one it was. that could be it, i guess.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
keep buying them you can put them in my garage:D

atc350xer
04-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Looking at the service manual, '85 is different from '86-'87(my BR swinger is an '85)... can't quite tell from the manual pic what I'm missing. Looks like it could be a spacer of some kind.

EDIT: is it possible that someone used an '85 hub on this '87? Can you tell from my pics? The BR hub and mine look very similar, but it looks different in the manual.

Xhumeka
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Sometimes I find the service manual diagrams lacking... have you looked at an exploded diagram to see if you can figure out what spacer you are missing? I like this site for exploded diagrams:

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/Honda.aspx

atc350xer
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that info... I also just discovered some idiot REMOVED the bearings from the rear axle and put it back together *sigh* Hope it didn't tear anything up...

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
:lol::lol::crazy: thats funny stuff

CRAZY70MAN
04-13-2010, 08:58 PM
There is no such thing as a last trike my fellow wheeler.............no such thing exists in this obsession, uh..... I mean hobby. lol lol:lock::lock: Lookout..... startin' my building this week:D:D:D Finally!!!! Nice SX, I love my 87! or is it my wife's????:wondering:beer Just admit you cannot stop.:lol::lol:

atc350xer
04-13-2010, 11:55 PM
There is no such thing as a last trike my fellow wheeler.............no such thing exists in this obsession, uh..... I mean hobby. lol lol:lock::lock: Lookout..... startin' my building this week:D:D:D Finally!!!! Nice SX, I love my 87! or is it my wife's????:wondering:beer Just admit you cannot stop.:lol::lol:

I promised this would be the last one... I guess alcoholics say it's their last drink too, huh?

CRAZY70MAN
04-14-2010, 05:58 AM
I promised this would be the last one... I guess alcoholics say it's their last drink too, huh? We will see but my money would bet that will not be your last drink.......uhhhhh Trike I mean. Plenty of people here to support you though if you decide to quit...they will give em' a good home. lol lol