PDA

View Full Version : It was a good weekend

3wheelsinPA
04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Good weekend 1- Having sold my 350X earlier this year I wanted to get something else and I've always had my eye on a Big Red. My brother introduced me to guy that had one he couldn't get running so offered to sell it cheap.
No spark, no dash lights, but turned over if I jumped the starter. I read a thread on here about a person with the same problem and since I like the simple solutions, checked the neutral and reverse switch connections. A wire was off! Connected it back up and the thing fired right up! Should have cleaned the carb before starting it, but I really didn't expect it to fire like it had just been ridden this morning. Carb kit is on the way.

Good weekend 2- Picked up a 185S off CL for $75, another one that a guy couldn't get to run. It looked like a real POS, but figured what the heck. My brother picked it up and didn't have much good to say. Front forks were bent, plastic all carved up, pull starter in pieces, nasty. He pulled a 110 front end off a junker for me and we put it on just for kicks Saturday. Today he rebuilt the pull starter while I pulled the carb and checked it out.
Put it together, hit it with starting fluid and thing fired! We put the tank and "plastics" on, fresh gas, and the thing starts first pull.
It looks nasty, but I kind if like it. Since I usually name my trikes (have to be careful though, asking the wrong person "Would you like to ride the Beast" can get you in trouble...) I need a name for the 185. Brother kept calling it a turd all day and I think it just might stick...

Anyhow, was a good weekend. Took a gamble on 2 machines and they both paid off.

cattle-dog
04-11-2010, 08:51 PM
nice some times the turds end up being the most reliable

3wheelmecca
04-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice. I kind of like the 110 front end on it. I would call it Frank, like Frankenstein. Its kind of a patchwork, badass nonetheless, but kind of a Franken-trike. Pretty cool.

atc350xer
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
It's a turd alright, but a powerful one!(I'm the brother). I never rode a 185 before and it's VERY different from my 90! It's almost a shame to get new parts for it, a Hollywood movie maker couldn't have made this thing uglier(cut and spray bombed plastic, 3 different half flat tires, wrong front end)... but it goes!

3wheelmecca
04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
eh, at least its not like my 200E. 3 different sized tires and 3 different types. it tilts hard forward and right, and has a 110 front end.

atc350xer
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
hehehe... turns in circles all by itself, huh?

MonroeMike
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
The Big Red looks like it's in pretty good shape.

3wheelsinPA
04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
It's not too bad, it's all there except for the side covers. The photos don't show the left fender is riveted together and one of the forks is welded to the cover. We have another front end to replace it, the plastics will probably be a winter project.

3wheelmecca
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
yeah it does, you gotta steer it right a little, its in pieces now, since I used most of it build my Full suspension 200, it was very unpleasant to ride.

BIGREDGUY
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Good deals, sounds like a heck of a weekend!

Mr_RPM
04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
mine gets called "the big110" or "bigred" (i dont like that one since there is a trike called the bigred lol) or "big trike". basically anything to do with big and trikes since its small yet seems to go anywhere. all these are from friends i ride with. nice bikes by the way.